UNSW vs Syd Uni (1 Viewer)

HSC
I want to do B Sc and was wondering which uni is best for that? this year it seems the cutoffs for UNSW Science has dropped .01 and risen for sydney like 3 pts.

Is there a difference in the teaching quality and facilities?

HSC
I was thinking maybe to the immunology/genetics side..
I really want to do B Med Sc later so I can get a career in perhaps ..research?

I have no idea how to go about this though.
The courses and UoC sound too confusing!

Saul

*ss
HSC
i had to make the same decision, eventually settling on Bsc (molecular biology and genetics) at usyd. i did this based on the fact that they have a seperate program for the course, as well as the addition of the talented students program

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
OMG...that stupid Talented students program....grrr.

It is for people with a UAI of more than 98.80 and some other criteria......

I was also thinking of doing B Science (genetic and molecular..) at USyd, but then again, it is very inflexible and you have to physics (?)...
So i ended up choosing B Medical Science at UNSW!

Nuggy

heheee

i'm doin med sci at unsw too

apart from the fact that med sci at usyd went up by quite a bit, med sci at unsw doesn't have phys as a core subject!!

but yea, i've heard that science at usyd is supposed to be better...

santaslayer

HSC
( 512041) Usyd B Science (Advanced) =96.35
(706425) UWS B Science (Advanced Science) = 97.00

lol......dingo was correct!!!!!! thats kinda funny!

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i dunno about this one...I don't see why USyd science would be any better than UNSW Science by virtue of the UAI cutoffs alone...

in fact they may be misleading- (eg. UWS' Adv Sci cutoff DOES NOT indicate the quality of the course or teaching). It's my personal opinion but I think USyd has greater cutoffs in the BSci because they cater to the advanced students as well (TSP)...hence the impression that since high acheivers choose Usyd preferentially, then it must be better.

It will be interesting to see how UNSW BSci. rises if they introduce a similar TSP program/.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
isn't the deal with the cutoffs is that it's generally an indication of the popularity of the course?
the more students who want to do it, the higher the cutoff goes up, therefore more students go for it.. so the cutoff goes higher...hmm... a bit dicey if u ask me.

but if u want to go into research - check out what's happening at either uni... i've heard usyd does some pretty funky stuff with photonics... but i wouldn't have a clue with regards to newsouth.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
isn't the deal with the cutoffs is that it's generally an indication of the popularity of the course?
the more students who want to do it, the higher the cutoff goes up, therefore more students go for it.. so the cutoff goes higher...hmm... a bit dicey if u ask me.
yes that's true

santaslayer

HSC
so maybe everyone can opt for uws B Science (advanced) in the future coz its the most popular uni for this course in sydney!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

but if u want to go into research - check out what's happening at either uni... i've heard usyd does some pretty funky stuff with photonics... but i wouldn't have a clue with regards to newsouth.
yeah, the uai shows the popularity of the course- thats one of the reasons why i chose USYD instead of UNSW- i also liked USYD since they had good advanced science programs, and also bcoz of the fact that transportation is not much of a problem for USYD (since u just walk from redfern!)...unlike UNSW- in where u need to catch the dreaded "bus". :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)