Votes: 9 32.1%
  • 70-80

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 80+

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

blobfish42

HSC
Throwaway account but as someone who has graduated and is in the tutoring business I want to know what's considered an acceptable hourly rate. I've seen the whole range. From 30 (is it even worth your time... this is the same as what group tutors get when everything is prepared for them) to 90+ (med students, JR students, students on scholarships... how much more can you actually offer?)

For the 'average' tutor let's pretend they are a uni student who has done well in the subjects they offer (Band 6). I know there's an old poll on the same topic but it's from 2005 and things have certainly changed

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Throwaway account but as someone who has graduated and is in the tutoring business I want to know what's considered an acceptable hourly rate. I've seen the whole range. From 30 (is it even worth your time... this is the same as what group tutors get when everything is prepared for them) to 90+ (med students, JR students, students on scholarships... how much more can you actually offer?)

For the 'average' tutor let's pretend they are a uni student who has done well in the subjects they offer (Band 6). I know there's an old poll on the same topic but it's from 2005 and things have certainly changed
i think 30-40 is cheap for the student but i definitely think a tutor's time and experience is worth more than that. anything 90+ that isn't a group/small class thing i believe is too expensive and if you're charging triple digits that's crazy (there is an english tutor on this forum who was advertising $100/hr... and no even if you got 99.95 and went to JR you are not deserving to be paid $120/hr just to shred people's work). definitely somewhere in the 50-70 range i think would be the best cost? it's competitive enough for the tutor but it's cheap enough for a student too.

the english tutor i had this year is a current medicine student who did 4u english (lowest mark they got for an english subject was 97), and they only charged $65/hr. and that price was also inclusive of getting access to exemplars from past students, exemplars and resources from their former workplace that charges an hourly rate of more than twice as much and text support outside of class. i thought i got a steal esp cos when i went looking exactly one year ago i could only find people charging 80+. for my tutor, they were tutoring 10 students at a time so they were earning a decent salary a week from that so it wasn't just me. so yeah i think 50-70 is the most reasonable

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
I know one 99+ atar ex-student at my school is already charging $65 for math tutoring.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
I know one 99+ atar ex-student at my school is already charging $65 for math tutoring.
Hush. tutors should be charging at least $100 bare minimum. ur atar determines the minimum amount you should charge :mad: if u get 99.95- ur entitled to 99.95min, 99.85- 99.85$ hrly rate, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)