Usage of an apostrophe at the end of the word? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I'm kind of getting confused the more and more I think about this:
for example:
Ones view of the universe varies with the persons religion.
Am i using the correct grammar above, or is it meant to be:
Ones view of the universe varies with the persons' religion.

Also, do we ever put an apostrophe at the end of its: its'

It's pissing me off. The more I think about it, the more I think i'm wrong.

oh and another

The environmental forces try and affect marketing managements decisions.

Is it meant to be marketing managements'

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
There is person's, which means the ownership by one person.
Then there is persons', which means the ownership by a bunch of people. Or it could be peoples' as well. It just saves poeple writing persons's (which just looks weird).

I think in that sentence you mentioned, it is only relating to one person, and therefore, should be person's.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A

For the first i'd say youre right.
For the second, never (that i know of).
For the third, if its many company's management divisions then your fourth line, but obviously if one company's division then management's.

hello99999

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
I'm kind of getting confused the more and more I think about this:
for example:
Ones view of the universe varies with the persons religion.
Am i using the correct grammar above, or is it meant to be:
It should be "One's view of the universe varies with the person's religion."
You use the apostrophe to illustrate possession. Therefore, you must put an apostrophe before the 's' of "one" & "person" to indicate their respective possession of "view" & "religion. You would not put the apostrophe after the 's' in these examples because they are not plural.

1Time4thePpl said:
No. You never use apostrophes of possession with the word 'it'. The apostrophe in "it's" represents a contraction of "it is". Also, "it" is singular, so it would not make sense to put an apostrophe behind the 's' in any case.

1Time4thePpl said:

It depends. If you are talking about one marketing management, you would write "marketing management's decisions". However, if you are talking about many marketing managements, you would write "marketing managements' decisions". In any case, it is rather poor expression and you would probably be better off writing "The environmental forces try to affect the decisions of marketing management(s).

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
it's = it is
its = ownership of it
its' = doesn't exist

i'll tell u a trippy one,
mother's' day :p

G

go_elizabeth

im so with you man, i can't deal with bad grammar, i correct it... but then i write in the shittest grammar, so i don't know, i think i have a personality disorder haha

chepas

HSC
go elizabeth said:
but then i write in the shittest grammar
Do you mean '... the shittiest grammar' :D? But then again the new usages of 'shit' in various forms doesn't seem to have been standardised. Take "Gawd, that movie shat me to tears." vs "Gawd, that movie shitted me to tears.". The past tense hasn't been standardised.

Same with that comparative/superlative - shitty, shittier, shittiest / shit, shitter, shittest / shitty, more shit, most shit. <-- The most commonly spoken will win in the end.

Fascinating :p.

hello99999 said:
It should be "One's view of the universe varies with the person's religion."
Yup. But shouldn't there be two "ones"? 'One's view of the universe varies with one's religion.' to make it more consistent? Because the one is referring to an unnamed person, whereas introducing another unit into the equation ('person') makes things redundant?

1Time4thePpl said:
Are you saying that the decisions belong to the marketing management? What you wrote would work if there were no possession, and 'marketing management(s)'' was describing the 'decisions', but then it would change to "The environmental forces try and affect the marketing management decisions", no 's' on management. But that's only assuming that I'm right, in thinking that the decisions don't belong to the marketing managements! :rolleyes:... oh dear. Too much thinking for Sat night.

Ask Ruth Wajnryb from the SMH :).

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
chepas said:
But then again the new usages of 'shit' in various forms doesn't seem to have been standardised. Take "Gawd, that movie shat me to tears." vs "Gawd, that movie shitted me to tears.". The past tense hasn't been standardised.
Shat sounds so much better. "I think I shitted myself" or "I think I shat myself"?

jpr333

HSC
Possessive plural. So it has to end with an s, ie singular is my father's hat, plural would be fathers' day.

hello99999

HSC
chepas said:
Yup. But shouldn't there be two "ones"? 'One's view of the universe varies with one's religion.' to make it more consistent? Because the one is referring to an unnamed person, whereas introducing another unit into the equation ('person') makes things redundant?
Probably.

Is anyone else getting the impression that we'd be a lot better off if they actually made sure that we know basic english grammatical concepts at school rather than making us memorise wanky essays about emotional journeys and whatnot...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wikiwiki said:
I'm sorry....its'?

Are you from a non-english speaking background?
thanks for your help guys.
yes im nesb. but i assure you i'm rather proficient in English (did 4 u english) - i've been here since i was 6. It's just that the more I started thinking about my usage of grammar here, the more I started getting agitated and thinking that I'm not indicating possession properly. Argh!

Oh and the above sentences were just made up on the spot.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it's is for it is, or its - there are no other possibilities

G

go_elizabeth

wikiwiki said:
that's all right, I say youse.
people who don't are tight-asses not willing to accept that there are new words emerging, and, thanks to our redneck friends, "youse" is one.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
One's view of the universe varies with the person's religion.

correct form of the genitive third-person neuter: its

Is it meant to be marketing managements'?
this goes to show how little grammar we learn in Australia, which is a shame, really. :(

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Frigid said:
One's view of the universe varies with the person's religion.

correct form of the genitive third-person neuter: its

Is it meant to be marketing managements'?
this goes to show how little grammar we learn in Australia, which is a shame, really. :(
wait everyone else seems to have been saying that there should be an apostrophe at the end of marketing managements'
So how do we show possession?
You seem to know your grammar :)
I know what you mean, I have no idea why there was no emphasis placed on grammar. I'm a grammar nazi and find myself making small errors all the time.

jpr333

HSC
It is not rocket science, if it is management singular it is management's, if it is managements plural (collective) it is managements'.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes, ive now realised that. looked it up on a website :)
what got me thinking is actually an incorrect correction on my political economy essay by the marker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)