using sam - aligned marks?? (1 Viewer)

Heks12

Meeeeee
HSC
Hi,

Im currently in year 12 and tried using SAM. However when I enter the marks under the "aligned marks" coloumn, am I to enter the raw marks which i think i might get...say 50 out of 100 for 3u maths or should I enter the scaled mark which for the raw mark of 50 out of 100 would probably be about 70 out of 100?

Also when entering 3u and 4u maths marks into Sam do you do it out of 50 or 100, and if I am doing 4u maths, do i need to also include 2u adv, ext1 and ext2 maths into SAM??

Thanks a lot,

Josef

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Heks12
am I to enter the raw marks which i think i might get...say 50 out of 100 for 3u maths or should I enter the scaled mark which for the raw mark of 50 out of 100 would probably be about 70 out of 100?
The latter. Though the right term to use is 'aligned mark'.

Originally posted by Heks12
Also when entering 3u and 4u maths marks into Sam do you do it out of 50 or 100, and if I am doing 4u maths, do i need to also include 2u adv, ext1 and ext2 maths into SAM??
You enter it as a mark out of 100. You only need to include Mathematics extension 1 and 2. Mathematics 2U is not required if that is what you meant by '2u adv'.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Chudy there are a number of inaccuracies and misleading statements in that explanation... you might want to consider amending it. :)

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Chudy there are a number of inaccuracies and misleading statements in that explanation... you might want to consider amending it. :)
no way dude! it's perfect. if there's something dramatically wrong with it you'll have to tell me.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
That first paragraph doesn't really have that much to do with alignment.

You may stuff up the HSC big time (but still comparatively well across the state). You may have also stuffed up school big-time. take english - your mark was 50 % at school but you came 1st. You end up getting an HSC exam mark of 90 % (because you were in the top say...10% of the state). They'll therefore shoot that 50 % straight to 90. (or less, depending on what position you were at school, and how your mark compared with that of your peers)
That's more to do with the moderation of assessment marks.

Alignment is adjusting the raw HSC mark to fit a set of performance standards to ensure that student achievement is reported in terms of the same standards each year.

How the subject aligns is determined by a set of judges who do the paper and decide what raw mark will correspond to what aligned mark. This process is carried out before and after the students have sit their examinations.

Which means, say for example in 2U mathematics a student had a RAW mark of 60/100. The judges may decide that a 60/100 would be worth 70/100, and thus the student receives a 70/100 in their HSC report which is the aligned mark.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Ahh you pedantics...
ok, so there is a slight difference between alignment and moderation. Never the less, both operate on the same principle.

Bah - can't be bothered changing it lol

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Alignment and moderation are 2 different processes. Entirely.

But in this case, the thread creator would need to take account of assessment moderation in order to use the program.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Alignment and moderation are 2 different processes. Entirely.

But in this case, the thread creator would need to take account of assessment moderation in order to use the program.
Well for the students themselves, I don't think it's very important to be aware of such a technicality. All they need to know is that there's a lot of fidgeting with the marks going on after you do the exam and that occurs both with the HSC exam and your school marks. Therefore, it's not necessary to panic in the event you stuff up your exam or your school assessments -- it's all relative.

It's scaling they gotta be afraid of ;) :D

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes that is true, but I was referring to your post and why it doesn't have much to do with alignment :p

grimreaper

HSC
Hey I was just wondering if a lot more subjects will align "up" than scale up? I do chem, phys, eco, 4u maths and advanced english, and I know maths is the only subject likely to scale up, but will aligning help with the others?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Nobody really knows the exact answers, but in most cases, it appears that most subjects do tend to 'align' up.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Just remember that 'aligning' has no effect on UAIs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)