usyd: adv math units & daylell stream (1 Viewer)

lildumpling86

HSC
hi everyone!!

I just had two questions concerning adv math units and the Dalyell Stream units:
1. how difficult are the advanced math units compared to the non-advanced math units? (specifically: calculus of one variable and linear algebra) & is it possible to change from an advanced unit to a non-advanced one mid-semester?
2. is the Dalyell Stream worth it? specifically for science, so the science Dalyell showcase (SCDL1991) & would it be better to take this in sem 1 or 2?

thanks so much!

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
hi everyone!!

I just had two questions concerning adv math units and the Dalyell Stream units:
1. how difficult are the advanced math units compared to the non-advanced math units? (specifically: calculus of one variable and linear algebra) & is it possible to change from an advanced unit to a non-advanced one mid-semester?
2. is the Dalyell Stream worth it? specifically for science, so the science Dalyell showcase (SCDL1991) & would it be better to take this in sem 1 or 2?

thanks so much!
1. yes it's possible to switch between units during semester but make sure to do it before census date. advanced math units aren't too bad, I did linear algebra (MATH1002) and it was objectively challenging and demanding but it's a fun unit, organised well and there's a lot of support/resources available. I'd say if you took at least mx1 you'd be fine with the advanced units, but still doable without mx1 prerequisite you'll just need to put in effort. the non-advanced units imo were booooring as hell but that's just me

2. I've asked this question on another platform and ppl say it's not really worth it, like the only actual benefit you get is an opportunity to be part of an exchange program and a fancy Dalyell Scholar title. you also get to be part of cool projects and events n dat, stuff to put on your linkedin and resumes, but the Dalyell units are just normal units and ppl say the units aren't like anything amazing or memorable. but I'd say being in the program is overall worth it, make sure to keep your WAM above 75 though!!

idk if it would be better to take SCDL1991 in sem 1 or 2, it depends on how you want to plan your degree, you could get it out of the way in the first half of the year or second doesn't matter, I think you can take this as an intensive unit as well? idk but there's no "right" time to do your Dalyell units

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)