• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

USYD B Econ to MQ B Com + Law? (1 Viewer)

Proteus

HSC
Hi,

First year B Economics student @ USYD, received a mid year transfer into Macquarie for B Commerce + B Law.

Based on future prospect, would you make the move?

I am absolutely dislike the core Econometrics which I have to take almost every semester of my current degree.

Also I have to study Intro Microecon and Macroecon and Intermediate Microecon and Macroecon..

I am in such a dilemma!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Ultimately this decision should rely on your interests.

Is there a particular field or industry you're looking to get involved in?

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
The cut off was surprisingly very low this time, I got into Macq Comm/Law with an ATAR of 91 for the Mid-year also!

Anyways, it really depends on what you make out of the degree and your interests like Ozko said :)...

Proteus

HSC
Ultimately this decision should rely on your interests.

Is there a particular field or industry you're looking to get involved in?
The Commerce/ Business field is my interest.

I planned to major in Accounting and fulfill CPA requirements if I were to continue studying B Economics.

I am unsure what I ultimately want to do after having a brief taste of Introductory: Microecon, Accounting, Business Information Systems and Business Statistics

I want to work in a corporate environment, ideally a consultancy position.

Cheers :party:

Proteus

HSC
The cut off was surprisingly very low this time, I got into Macq Comm/Law with an ATAR of 91 for the Mid-year also!

Anyways, it really depends on what you make out of the degree and your interests like Ozko said :)...

Looking at your sig, it looks like you've made a choice :p
How did "prestige" factor in your equation? This admittedly, has a smaller influence to me than before now..

With that said, however,
I've been to FMAA events and there's many occassions where it's just UNSW and USYD that are attending... e.g. the Down to Business Luncheon earlier on in the year at Hilton..

I do agree with that comment "what you make out of the degree", ultimately which one has more opportunities? =\

Last edited:

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Looking at your sig, it looks like you've made a choice :p
How did "prestige" factor in your equation? This admittedly, has a smaller influence to me than before now..

With that said, however,
I've been to FMAA events and there's many occassions where it's just UNSW and USYD that are attending... e.g. the Down to Business Luncheon earlier on in the year at Hilton..

I do agree with that comment "what you make out of the degree", ultimately which one has more opportunities? =\
I wanted to do law combined with Business/Commerce initially, it was my plan since year 11 and yeah I finally made it surprisingly :p. Sadly, I didn't get accepted to study Law/Commerce in the beginning of the year so I chose to study at UNSW with a business degree.

But prestige wasn't particularly important to my decision, I think Macquarie is an excellent school and comparing it to my now 'previous' school UNSW, I don't really see much difference hehe. So yeah it played little importance to my decision, although I am aware that I am competing against Law Students from across the country now in my arena and some happen to come from Sydney UNI or UNSW with 99+ ATAR and you know very skilled individuals so it does worry me a little. But yeah, it's what I make out of the degree :)

Also, I heard Macquarie Commerce or Economics degrees were very mediocre from what I heard from some friends and graduates I talked to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)