• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UTS USYD or UNSW best for Bachelor of Business? (2 Viewers)

nessc26

HSC
I am currently studying a BA at Usyd and applying for grad programs, if I don't get into any I will do a business degree.
I don't want to do a bachelor of commerce because I am not very good at math and hate it (I know Bach Bus. does involve some math).

Question:

Is UTS, USYD or UNSW best for a bachelor of business and WHY?

I am currently leaning toward UTS because I like how you can study tourism as a major, they have international exchanges and have capstone subjects (I realise the latter 2 are probably available elsewhere too).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
For the most part Bachelor of Business is the same thing as a Bachelor of Commerce. From my understanding of the unis listed only UTS offer a Bachelor of Business by that name - the business schools at Usyd and UNSW award Commerce degrees. The uni which is best is a very subjective question and i don't know enough about the differences so i'm not going to answer it.

RishBonjour

HSC
The maths in commerce isn't really maths (unless maybe if you major in eco or finance), its VERY simple and they have a separate workshop designed SPECIFICALLY for business students at usyd to help you along with ALL the maths required for the course.
USYD has international exchange too (extremeeely competitive though)!
But since you've done your bachelor at usyd aren't you pretty much set here? If you want a new environment, UNSW is awesome too!

nessc26

HSC
I found this site through google:

http://www.whatdegreewhichuniversit...Commerce-and-Business-degrees-at-Univers.aspx

it compares business and commerce degrees, in case others have the same questions.

This was their answer on this difference between business and commerce:

The main difference when it comes to Commerce and Business degrees is that Commerce degrees aim to supply students with knowledge about the management of money and business, through subjects relating to accounting, economics, finance, law and management. Students of Commerce degrees will then usually go on to major in areas such as economics, accounting, international business and commercial law.

Business degrees, on the other hand, dip into this knowledge about accounting, economics and finance, in ways that see how they directly function in business settings. Further to this, students of Business degrees will also usually learn about human resource management, business decisions, marketing and general business management. Students can then usually choose to major in specific types of business knowledge, from sport to tourism, or finesse their skills in marketing or human resource management.

With most Commerce and Business degrees, however, you will usually see a lot of what each has to offer is being combined in the one program. This means that your decision about choosing one over the other can be based on more specific areas, such as whether they offer internships, student exchange, practical case studies or majors which are interesting to you. You'll get to know a bit more about these elements from the student profiles listed under each degree below.

yeah so business sounds more up my alley I guess.....It seems if I want to go to either UTS, USYD or UNSW then I would have to choose UTS if I want to do business instead of commerce..... thoughts, anyone?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Well it is correct in that UTS (and thus a business degree there) have a practical approach when compared to the Go8 unis. That difference isn't down to the name though - you really shouldn't let that decide for you. Go to some open days or whatever, talk to current students/alumni, talk to the unis, sit in on some first year lectures. If you are completely undecided you may as well do anything you can to help make that decision easier.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

http://www.whatdegreewhichuniversit...Commerce-and-Business-degrees-at-Univers.aspx

it compares business and commerce degrees, in case others have the same questions.

The main difference when it comes to Commerce and Business degrees is that Commerce degrees aim to supply students with knowledge about the management of money and business, through subjects relating to accounting, economics, finance, law and management. Students of Commerce degrees will then usually go on to major in areas such as economics, accounting, international business and commercial law.

Business degrees, on the other hand, dip into this knowledge about accounting, economics and finance, in ways that see how they directly function in business settings. Further to this, students of Business degrees will also usually learn about human resource management, business decisions, marketing and general business management. Students can then usually choose to major in specific types of business knowledge, from sport to tourism, or finesse their skills in marketing or human resource management.

With most Commerce and Business degrees, however, you will usually see a lot of what each has to offer is being combined in the one program. This means that your decision about choosing one over the other can be based on more specific areas, such as whether they offer internships, student exchange, practical case studies or majors which are interesting to you. You'll get to know a bit more about these elements from the student profiles listed under each degree below.

yeah so business sounds more up my alley I guess.....It seems if I want to go to either UTS, USYD or UNSW then I would have to choose UTS if I want to do business instead of commerce..... thoughts, anyone?
Commerce and Business are synonyms in this context, if you look at the programs for UTS, USYD and UNSW you'll see that the subjects are almost exactly the same.

Freshman2013

HSC
Uni Grad
Business studies is overated in anycase. All you need is to be able to find a job. In your situation I would look at trying to find the best part time option which will still allow you to look for jobs while you study. Having said that, USYD now have the best suite of work expereince programs compared to any other uni. UTS may give you a practical approach, but having not been there it is hard to pass judgement. UNSW is all reputation, again I dont know if they teach anything different to USYD.

kat12345

HSC
N/A

Really interesting read, thanks.
I always sort of wondered what the difference was between Commerce and Business. They still seem like interchangeable to me though :p

Would be good if they listed how many sub-majors/minors were available to students as well. I know some unis have way more options than others.

And maybe how many subjects you need to complete the degree too. I noticed recently the discrepancies between a couple of the unis, and that was quite interesting.

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
As a current first year Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Law student at UTS I can tell you I'm enjoying my time. Lecturers are incredibly informative and tutors are very interactive. It feels very promising to study here, and most students are open-minded and friendly. The facilities are also quite good and being 5 minutes from Central is pretty convenient.

I can't really offer opinion on the other unis, but off reputation UNSW is probably one of the best you could go to.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I wouldn't really worry about the difference in B business or commerce, they're very similar if not basically the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)