Values in King Lear (1 Viewer)

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
I scoured the Mod B forum yesterday to no avail, and was wondering what you all think the main values in this play are.

.....but it doesn't matter anymore.... I don't care :(

Last edited:

Natasha.1990

HSC
I was just wondering if you ever found the valuse in king lear.
I am really stuck on this and I have trials coming up.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

N

Nicola1616

Hey, I'm not really sure what your core area of study is - are you doing critical literary theory? Let me know and maybe I can help more but I guess what you are looking for is the things that seem to be valued in the context of the original Lear, I mean just on it's own without any modern doing-over like say:(a wise king who knows the danger of a divided kingdom, an honest adviser ie Kent, loyal children, an ability to have insight into the true nature of others, obedient women etc) and then look at how certain values have changed so that in a contemporary production we have lost the meaning behind the kinship stuff and certainly see women differently but some of the stuff the play 'values' still has resonance for us today like maybe: a certain view of the bleak, cruel, indiscriminate hand of fate; family loyalty; sound insight and judgement.
A modern interpretation might seek to convey some (no one can do 'all' of Lear so its about choosing) of these shared values, or things that have meaning, but deal with other aspects of the play, containing values which conflict with contemporary tastes, in a completely different way. So Cordelia is strong and forthright, or Goneril and Regan are victims of Lears sexual abuse - google 'A THousaand Acres' for an example of a feminist reading of Lear which tries to handle some of the values about obedient women which might not suit a modern audience.

Natasha.1990

HSC
Ok cool, I follow.
Also, I was wondering if the Values are the same as Themes because the 'values' i found seem to almost be the same as the themes?

And one more question....what are qulaities of a text.
King Lear is Module B...so critical study of Text......

N

Nicola1616

No values and themes aren't the same thing. I guess you could say that themes may be more of a conscious construction by the author whereas values are underlying. So that a theme in Lear might be 'Power' but that is too general to be a value. You have to ask yourself what about 'power' seems to be important in say the Jacobean context so: Power must be weilded with humantiy, a king has the right to unquestioned power, etc.
Or another theme might be 'Blindness and Insight' again this is just a broad catagory for your examination. The values will be the things the characters say and what happens to them which convey what about this theme mattered, was salient, pertinent, meaningful - VALUED. Does that sound okay? And again we might not value the same thing. A feminist look at the theme of 'Power' for instance would want to look at sexual politics and how power is deniged women or that those women who do have power are depicted as sinister. Or a marxist reading might look at the power of the wealthy few and those 'poor wretches' that are invisible.
Qualties is a little vague. Do you have a context for it?
I guess in a general sense 'qualities' are the things that make it 'good'. So why are we still interested in Lear? Why are we still producing it and seeing it? So the answer would be things like the universality of it's themes, the bleakness of the tone which resonnates with a contemporary audience, the rich imagery and the musicality of the language, the complexity of the ending which is open to so many interpretations etc - I guess that's what it's about.

Natasha.1990

HSC
Wow! thankyou so much for all of that.
What year did u do the HSC in?
U r so knowlegable (cant spell).
Would it be ok if I asked you for help wheneva I need it for english?

N

Nicola1616

That is so cute! I did HSC in about 1829. One of my daughters did it last year and I have a daughter in year 11 this year. I love English so I always help them and I just wanted to see if anyone else needed help so yes - you can ask me anything. If you want you can have my email address so that I can edit your essays. Anyway - good luck
Kind regards
Nicola

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)