vectors mcq (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I still have no idea how to know which statements are true even though my teacher explained it, help?? (answer is C I think but I don't get how to get there)

1666906453133.png

notme123

HSC
Just go through each of them
the first one is true because the triangle inequality has equality when a and b are in the same direction.
second is true by the first one. Assume b is opposite direction to a, so -b is same direction as a. then sub -b into the first equation which is true and you'll get the second equation. so second eqn is also true.
third is false: counter example is (3,0) and (3,0). Sub these in for a and b you get 3 + 3 = 0 which is false.
fourth is false: counter example a = (3,0) and b = (5,0). subbing in you get 3 - 5 = 2 which again is false.

I think the answer is B

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Just go through each of them
the first one is true because the triangle inequality has equality when a and b are in the same direction.
second is true by the first one. Assume b is opposite direction to a, so -b is same direction as a. then sub -b into the first equation which is true and you'll get the second equation. so second eqn is also true.
third is false: counter example is (3,0) and (3,0). Sub these in for a and b you get 3 + 3 = 0 which is false.
fourth is false: counter example a = (3,0) and b = (5,0). subbing in you get 3 - 5 = 2 which again is false.

I think the answer is B
so when i look at questions like these all i have to do is just find counter-examples which prove it false?

notme123

HSC
so when i look at questions like these all i have to do is just find counter-examples which prove it false?
always a good ideas with these types of q but these types of questions are quite rare. I've never seen one in the hsc where they ask which ones, or how many are correct. they often ask which is true and there's only one correct one, in that case counterexamples would be helpful as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)