• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Veterinary Science (1 Viewer)

ashjw84

For anyone who does veterinary science :

Is it possible to do the course without any HSC science subjects........are bridging courses and a lot of study enough to understand and pass the course ?

Any other helpful information that you wished you had known about the course before you began it would be really helpful..

thanks heaps

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
hey,
so its only really me that does vet sci, theres one other member in the course but i havent seen her on here for a while....
It is possible to do it with no science background, but i would def do the chem bridging course coz my friends who had never done chem before or who did it a long time ago found chem pretty difficult.
Biology you could probably get through without having done it in high school, and theres no physics in the course, so thats not an issue.
Um, info you need - you will have 30 hour weeks at uni (most people have half of that), so that might be a shock to begin with, and you are expected to prepare for the pracs beforehand by yourself (no spoon feeding here) so you need to be really organised to keep up. And every friday in first year you spend at Camden farms (down past liverpool) and all of 4th year is spent down at camden too, just so you know...
If you live in college you get the support (and assignments) of ppl in years above you, so thats helpful, and you also get tutorials at college.

But the course is really close knit, and everyone helps everyone else out, so thats good....
yeah, thats pretty much it, ummm, lots of international and mature age students in the course, so you get lots of variety in terms of the ppl you are studying with...
yeah, its a top course! i love it!

yuetyee

HSC
hey,

I got a prelim offer to do vet science mainly cos I'm an international student (tho I did the HSC etc). If I were a local student my uai would've been bit too low.

Wasn't in Sydney during the uni open days in jan so didnt get to ask last minute questions about vet.

I read that the course is 5 years, and now the last year is totally lecture-free (not sure if that means exam-free but doubt it) so does that mean they cram most theory into the first 4 years?

Also I didn't do physics so would I need to take a bridging course?

And if u don't live on campus does that mean you won't be able to get as much help as those who do and have seniors to help them? What about second-hand books too? Do they use mainly the same books?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Hi,
yes the course if 5 years, 5th year is spent doing 10 one month long roatations at different vet practices. There are no exams, but there are assesments, and you are working full time.
Dont worry about a physics bridging course, we hardly do any physics at all, just as long as you have done chem, and 2unit maths, you should be fine.

Living on campus in one of the colleges does give you an advantage in terms of having access to other students knowlege, and you get extra tutorials run by the colleges etc, but i think you would gain more from living in a vet practice and actually doing hands on work with animals. But i dont live on campus or in a vet practice, and i am doing quite well in the course, so its not a big issue if you just live at home, or in an appartment etc.

Second hand textbooks are readily available, usually the same textbooks are used year to year, people will send out e-mails (hundreds of them) selling textbooks early on in semester 1, so just keep your eyes open.

In first year you will get a second year "buddy" allocated to you, who can help you out with any questions, give you their old assignments, etc. Theres always people around to help out, and the lecturers are always willing to help if you are struggling with anything.

Congrats on getting a place! i'll see you around next year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)