virgil or cicero? (1 Viewer)

Fido

People doing HSC latin this year, do you prefer the virgil or the cicero? or no latin at all :D i'm the only one doing it in my whole year :(... and I HATE VIRGIL. stupid meter.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
only one in your own year? ouch

i preferred virgil when i did it last year. you know fido, you must be the first class of 2004er i've seen in the latin forum

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
I prefer the cicero. just becuase of the content. the rumours, the sex scandals, the drama... ahaha. :D

but I like being able to scan the virgil. and we have a workbook for virgil that sets everything out nicely for me. but still, I can't get into epic poetry.

fido - what school?

bunny007

HSC
Virgil Definitely

I prefer virgil much more to cicero. i think he writes a lot better and i find it easier to translate :)
while cicero is a lot more relevant to understanding the values of Rome, i find that he gets caught up in his own genius rhetoric way too much at times.
do u do extension latin as well? i find the elegy much more interesting and so much better to translate than either of the 2u texts.
1 person in a class is ridiculous - i'm surprisd ur school botherd to run the class. we have 13 in our 2u class and 7 in our ext class, but then again my school is heaps nerdy :)

Fido

hehe equally i only get 2 periods a week instead of six, so they practically dont bother... greeninsanity: i have to say i heaps prefer the cicero as well, but NOT because of the sex and scandals... watching my like 60 yr old teacher talk about orgies is slightly scarring. scansion is cool though. oh god.. i just called latin cool.... (queenwood btw :) how many do you have at sghs?)
i only do two unit, what's three unit like? i've heard its actually easier than the two :S what school are YOU at bunny!?

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
bunny007 is at sghs too. so u already know how many ppl we have. :)
and the 3-unit elegy is so much better than either of the 2-unit texts. it's a lot more interesting and there's not nearly as much content to cover. (how are we going to finish the 2-unit stuff?! we're not halfway through...)
but, fido - two periods a week? you'd have to work so much by yourself. i think i'd hate it. and how do you know if ur doing well?
queenwood, eh? i'm sure i know you. (ever realise just how many latin ppl you know?) haha... i'll pm you. :p

Fido

eh, yes, yes i do. (hate it that is) its so annoying though, cos there's no one to do work with / check things aside from the teacher *fumes*
did other people do virgil or cicero first? i only got up to about chapter 20 in the cicero, i guess the rest i'll just have to make up as i go along :S i have my half yearly tomorrow too *cries* on the cicero but its only up to chapter 18, thank god. i'm quite stuffed. its annoying cos i wanted to do well to spite my teacher *grins evilly*

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
at first, you might cicero because of the rhectoric, but later on it becomes tedious and repetitive, at which point you might like virgil's development of the story more...

my favourite quote: varium et semper mutabile femina

enjoy your latin kiddies! :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
We're (I'm) not that that... ancient. :p

No, my uni only offers Latin to HSC level. *Sighs*

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
we have latin at our uni, but lectures are at really obscure times.

i did 3 units for my HSC fido, more than enough for a lifetime :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
sorry no more latin for me... except the occasional phrase or two in law... that $385 one year only latin and ancient greek usyd scholarship wasn't enticing enough for me to sign up...

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
$385? and what does HECS cost each yr? :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Even the subject cost would just about double that scholarship! :D

Aside: I may be studying an Advanced Mathematics unit for free in the near future. :D

laney

HSC
i did latin in '02 too, and i liked Virgil better.
Cicero was heaps easier to translate, but like Frigid said, it's repepetitive. Virgil was so beautiful *nods* :D

no latin in uni.
latin in high school was tough enough.

you know, it's quite nice being able to come into this forum and NOT see spam, but latin talk *nods*. i miss latin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)