• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

vote 1 babydoll (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
hey guys, I'm running for Undergraduate rep, electorate B (FBE, Engineering, Medicine and Science) of the Academic Board in this year's elections.

You'll get a ballot in the mail and I'd love it if you could vote for me!

The Academic Board is basically your liaison point between yourself and the academic staff and bigwigs of the uni (Vice Chancellor etc). We discuss and make decisions on things such as faculty interaction, scholarships, and research.

I'd be an awesome rep because:
1. I'm a people person and I like talking to most people, if not everyone!
2. I'm involved in lots of uni programs such as Yellow Shirts, CSE Revue and CONTACT, so I'm definitely familiar with the uni and how it works.
3. I'm a Science/Arts student, which means I'm familiar with not one, but TWO faculties! ZOMG!
4. If you guys have issues with something at uni, I'm easily accessible and I will strive to find a solution to your issue.
5. If you don't vote for me I'll cry :(

So please vote for me (Nancy Tran), and spread the word to your friends! You'll see more info about it in Blitz, Tharunka and around uni. You can also check out www.elections.unsw.edu.au and if you have any questions about this, post them and I'll try to answer them.

:wave:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yeah, at least your little story seemed human and not like a god damned political debate. I mean, this Douglas BEGG character...why do I care that he ran a business that made over 2 million bucks? I sincerely doubt that it's going to have a profound effect on what I do and use at uni, hence I certainly won't be voting for him.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Yep, already voted for you and it's in the mail.

Btw, if u skip more than 2 meetings in a row you get kicked off the Board.

gman03

HSC
If you can hunt me down next week, then I will vote for you.
Else I will flip a coin and decide.

ohne

HSC
I won't be voting due to the fact the letter I recieved is not postage paid and you have to provide your own stamp. I don't see the benefit in paying 50 cents for 1 vote to the academic board.

elfm

HSC
ohne said:
I won't be voting due to the fact the letter I recieved is not postage paid and you have to provide your own stamp. I don't see the benefit in paying 50 cents for 1 vote to the academic board.
you can hand it into any school or office in the uni and you don't need to pay a cent.

i guess i'll be voting for nancy. but she'll win easily anyway since she's the only asian on there. the only person there that has absolutely no chance in winning is that $2M showoff guy that looks like he's too old for uni and too much of a smart ass to know how to do his job properly... seriously, anyone with that smile is definitely evil.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Can we only vote for/from our own faculty? I have no clue how this works- and I'm too lazy to read the envelope.

ohne

HSC
OK, I am considering voting seeing as though I don't need to post the ballot. I have a few questions for Nancy:

1. What is the main reason why you want to be on the board?
2. What will be your main priority if elected?
3. Do you support increased integration between faculties?
4. Where do you stand on voluntary student unionism?
5. Which political party in Australia would you say your views most closely resemble?
6. Where do you stand on the issues of capital punishment and abortion?

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Yeah, at least your little story seemed human and not like a god damned political debate. I mean, this Douglas BEGG character...why do I care that he ran a business that made over 2 million bucks? I sincerely doubt that it's going to have a profound effect on what I do and use at uni, hence I certainly won't be voting for him.

LOL at Doug Begg.

ok, ill vote #1 nancy. cos, youre a BOSer.

so whereabouts am i supposed to drop off the ballot paper?

gman03

HSC
king_of_boredom said:
LOL at Doug Begg.

ok, ill vote #1 nancy. cos, youre a BOSer.

so whereabouts am i supposed to drop off the ballot paper?
1. Goto any school office
2. Say "Internal Post"

elfm

HSC
now that i look at it closely, i think michael pratt has a real chance as well. his credentials are the best of the group imo, and he doesn't look evil like doug. gemma smart doesn't have a chance... no one likes hippies, and belinda bentley looks like she's been listening to john howard's election speeches too much. i've got nothing against kobb-wells but i doubt he'll win

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
ohne said:
OK, I am considering voting seeing as though I don't need to post the ballot. I have a few questions for Nancy:

1. What is the main reason why you want to be on the board?
2. What will be your main priority if elected?
3. Do you support increased integration between faculties?
4. Where do you stand on voluntary student unionism?
5. Which political party in Australia would you say your views most closely resemble?
6. Where do you stand on the issues of capital punishment and abortion?
1. I've been getting more and more involved in the university and its programs. From the point of view of a student, there is way too much red tape and crazy inconsistencies in the academic policies at this university. I want to cut through the red tape, and make things simpler for both the staff and students while maintaining the university's academic integrity.

2. My main priority will be increased interaction between students and the Academic Board. You wouldn't believe how many students don't know about the Academic Board and what it does! I want to make sure that students are satisfied with their degrees, and that they know that they can talk to people and have issues raised if they need to.

3. Yes, I definitely support this. I'm a Science/Arts student and you wouldn't believe the absolute crap one has to go through to simply get an answer to a question. Speaking to other combined degree students, Ive seen that a lot of students have the same issues as I have had. I'd really like to encourage all faculties to be well informed about each other so that students stop getting thrown around.

4. I can see why people would support VSU, but personally I'm against it. I've been involved in a lot of activities run by the Source/Union and Guild, as well as participating in sports which is overseen by the Sports Association. I don't think people realise the extent to which the Source, Guild and SA affects student life. Even if you think they don't do anything, at the end of the day, if it weren't for these organisations, we wouldn't have things like Foundation Day, CONTACT, cheap food on campus, student publications and a unibar.

5. I turned 18 last year and I'm yet to get into politics, but when I have more insight I'll let you know. I don't want to make a throwaway decision, I like to have info before I make any choices. But from what I've seen, most parties have a few good aspects at least.

6. I fail to see the relevance of this question, if you really want to know then PM me, but I don't see how that would affect academic policies.

I really don't think this should turn into a political debate. When it comes down to it, the Academic Board is to serve the academic needs of the students.

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Can we only vote for/from our own faculty? I have no clue how this works- and I'm too lazy to read the envelope.
You can only vote for your electorate.

If you're in Arts, Commerce/Eco, COFA or Law, you can vote for electorate A.
If you're in Science, Engineering, Medicine or Built Environment, you can vote for electorate B (which is what I'm running for).

As a Science/Arts student, I got ballot papers for both electorates. I assume students enrolled in degrees in both electorates would get both ballot papers too.
Curry said:
Where can we find info on the candidates?
When the ballot paper is mailed, a sheet containing info on how to vote will also have info on the candidates - a photo and a statement. If you want more info then I guess you could find a way to contact them..

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
babydoll_ said:
1. I've been getting more and more involved in the university and its programs. From the point of view of a student, there is way too much red tape and crazy inconsistencies in the academic policies at this university. I want to cut through the red tape, and make things simpler for both the staff and students while maintaining the university's academic integrity.
But can one student actually do that?

3. Yes, I definitely support this. I'm a Science/Arts student and you wouldn't believe the absolute crap one has to go through to simply get an answer to a question. Speaking to other combined degree students, Ive seen that a lot of students have the same issues as I have had. I'd really like to encourage all faculties to be well informed about each other so that students stop getting thrown around.
I'll vote for you if you answer my question. I looked in the law thread and saw that a post had been made with previous mark distributions for some law courses. The person who posted it said they got it from the registrar. If I was to wish to see previous mark distributions for first year science and math courses, do I go to student central and ask to see them?

4. I can see why people would support VSU, but personally I'm against it. I've been involved in a lot of activities run by the Source/Union and Guild, as well as participating in sports which is overseen by the Sports Association. I don't think people realise the extent to which the Source, Guild and SA affects student life. Even if you think they don't do anything, at the end of the day, if it weren't for these organisations, we wouldn't have things like Foundation Day, CONTACT, cheap food on campus, student publications and a unibar.
Some people just don't want to pay $256.80 per semester for something which they don't have the time to use. Apart from the crappy magazine and O-week, I haven't used anything from the Source and hence I don't see why I should be forced to pay money for things I don't use. Actually, I was talking to someone a few weeks ago who said that he'd never really used any of the things that the money goes toward. It's hardly fair that someone like him, or me should be forced to pay money for something we don't wish to use is it? VSU all the way.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
where is my arts ballot paper...i only got my fce paper..

ohne

HSC
I appreciate the fact you took the time to answer my questions and I have decided to vote for you on that basis.

Personally I am strongly in favour of VSU, but this doesn't have much to do with the acedemic board. I think services at University should be delivered on a user-pays basis. Student publications can also be funded through advertising. The main thing I wanted to judge by my last few questions was that I was not voting for some extremist like Gemma Smart. Nevertheless, I am sure that both myself and other users would welcome greater information regarding your political views across a range of areas.

elfm

HSC
how come you're 18 and in 3rd year? did you skip like 1 or 2 grades in high school or something you crazy cat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)