WAM or GPA for transfer calculations? (1 Viewer)

epsilon

HSC
Hi guys. I'm VERY confused right now!!! I am planning to transfer either to USYD (1st choice currently)'s or UNSW's B. Commerce, and so I was wondering how does the uni/UAC calculate my new rank at the end of my first year? I know it's based on 1/2 my UAI and 1/2 of my uni results. But I'm very confused about the uni mark part of it.

Ppl like Grizzly have said that the uni result part is calculated based on one's WAM.

However, ppl like ace have told me that it is actually based on one's GPA, and has nothing to do with the WAM.

Both of them are in B. Commerce UNSW right now.

So which of them is right anyway?

This is weird because if it's really based on GPA only, wouldn't that mean that getting either a mark of 65 or a mark of 74 won't really matter then because both are Credits?

Seriously don't get it...

Help much appreciated in this!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
GPA. that's why getting 74s and 64s suck.

you must aim to scab marks (bumpbumpbump) if just below grade bracket.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
For UNSW commerce - it's been proven that they take the higher of UAI or First Year GPA.

fantasia

HSC
do they take the accumulated WAM/GPA (2 semesters) or do they take the last semester WAM/GPA?

epsilon

HSC
I think they take the GPA for the whole year (2 sems). Nothing to do with WAM whatsoever.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Why is GPA used?

Also, what is the GPA out of? Mine is 6.5/10 i think (based on the spreadsheet). Is that good? what are the different criteria?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think its for some sort of consistancy across all uni's...which doesn't really work that well anyway.

GPA is out of 7 (ie if you get a GPA of 7, that means every subject you've studied, you recieved an HD)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
How do you work it out again? I used the WAMGPASEEKER.xls file which was available on BoS by rahul.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
GPA scores are given 7 = HD, 6 = DN, 5 = CR, 4 = Pass, 3 = Conceeded pass...etc
Assuming your subjects are 6CP,
say you get a 66, 79, 86 and 89 as your marks for one semester
it'd be 5+6+7+7/4 = 6.25

Further details (more comprehensive) in Frigid's On the Topic of Transfers thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)