• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

wat do u think of sdd? (1 Viewer)

SDD IS???

• DA BEST!!!

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • GOOD

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • OKAY

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • CRAP

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • JUST PLAIN OLD GAY!!!!!

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters

Maddogg

wat do u think of sdd.... its pretty hard im doing okay at it but so many ppl at my skol are struggling n it doesnt scale 2 well either

Lundy

Banned
HSC
It's ok, I guess. I find the assessments easy but I struggle in the exams. It should scale a lot better than it does.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I really love software...

doesnt mean im good though :(

But whenver do past exams and study, no joke, I have a smile on my face

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If the exams focused more on theory rather than scenarios i'd be happy with SDD.

But since that is not happening i'd say its gay.

Winston

HSC
i love the course

it's fun interesting and easy

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
i love the course

it's fun interesting and easy
at least someone agrees with me...

Maybe if the tests had less algorithims i would like the tests aswell

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Beaky
at least someone agrees with me...

Maybe if the tests had less algorithims i would like the tests aswell
agreed, i just for some reason hate reading scenarios, and applying shit into a algorithm

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
SDD is bs, but since it's pretty easy and doesn't take much study time (<10%) it's a good 2 units worth :)

Originally posted by Maddogg
same here!!! i should have dropped it and done 4unit maths instead errr!!!!
can't you do both? or is it on the same line.

Originally posted by Winston
agreed, i just for some reason hate reading scenarios, and applying shit into a algorithm
Maybe you need to read a little more :) jk

Rahul

Dead Member
my main problem is that the stuff you learn is veyr distantly related to the exam itself. its too much application. how can they differentiate between the guys who spent time learning the course inside out from those who know the basics and apply that to the scenarios.

an example: i got a few more marks in the trial than a guy who made comprehensive notes on the whole topic. he put in about 4 times as effort as i did. i dont see how that is fair, because he said that the stuff he learnt from that was barely useful

Lundy

Banned
HSC
SDD is bs, but since it's pretty easy and doesn't take much study time (<10%)
It's the complete opposite for me...I find I need to put more study into Software than any other subject. Some people can just pick it up naturally and easily, but I have trouble learning and understanding the technical aspect of it

It's a very "male" subject (just look at the entries by gender for the 2002 hsc), but I suppose being female doesnt justify why I'm so bad at it, lol

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Rahul
an example: i got a few more marks in the trial than a guy who made comprehensive notes on the whole topic. he put in about 4 times as effort as i did. i dont see how that is fair, because he said that the stuff he learnt from that was barely useful
Looks like your method of revision/study was more effective. This course does NOT promote ROTE learning, hence why even though people who may study a lot will still perform poorly. Also, it's not how much you study, but more on HOW you study, like 2 hours of effective study > 5 hours of poor study.

Originally posted by Lundy
It's the complete opposite for me...I find I need to put more study into Software than any other subject. Some people can just pick it up naturally and easily, but I have trouble learning and understanding the technical aspect of it

It's a very "male" subject (just look at the entries by gender for the 2002 hsc), but I suppose being female doesnt justify why I'm so bad at it, lol
Well, it can depend on what kind of person you are, eg. I need to put in about 40% of my time for 4u maths, 30% eng, 20% chem, and 10% sdd.

Gender differences should NOT differentiate the performance of either sex, but I guess general stereotypes apply, ie. girls > boys english, boys > girls maths. I think the gender difference may be more appropriately attributed the lack of interest girls pay to technology, and hence this subject, and as a whole, boys are more tech savvy then their female counterparts.

Winston

HSC
i'd have to say how much relation u can link back to programming and to the theory

i mean alot of the theory is common computing knowledge, and some are part of ur programming language, like breakpoints, i use them occasionally

and its important u dont read off the textbook rather u have to understand the logic about it

Foong

The theory part of SDD in my opinion has a lot of crap....the syllabus itslef seems like its more then 5 years old....... the scenarios they come up with for the exam is just crap and not applicable in real life..... Wonder who writes up the questions...that guy should be shot

Comedy_Al

All the social and wthical stuff is crap, our teacher regularly bitches about the stuff he has to teach us and how it is absolutly useless, but i still like the course. Queensland has got it better (your school mark is 100% your project).

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by enak

Gender differences should NOT differentiate the performance of either sex, but I guess general stereotypes apply, ie. girls > boys english, boys > girls maths. I think the gender difference may be more appropriately attributed the lack of interest girls pay to technology, and hence this subject, and as a whole, boys are more tech savvy then their female counterparts.
Yeah, I'm sure there are plently of top performing girls in software - I'm just definitely not one of them
There's definitely a lack of interest there though...from over 120 girls, 3 of us do software, and there isn't even a yr 11 class - it's being phased out from my (all-girls) school, i think

Last edited:

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Foong
The theory part of SDD in my opinion has a lot of crap....the syllabus itslef seems like its more then 5 years old....... the scenarios they come up with for the exam is just crap and not applicable in real life..... Wonder who writes up the questions...that guy should be shot
I agree with you on the syllabus. Also the exams, the multiple choice questions are ambiguous, and this most-correct bs is utter crap. I looked at the standards packages, and some questions even had 2 answers. I suppose it's hard to get practice papers on them, since the syllabus and course is soo new, which could explain the inferior scaling compared to what it should get.

Originally posted by Lundy
Yeah, I'm sure there are plently of top performing girls in software - I'm just definitely not one of them
There's definitely a lack of interest there though...from over 120 girls, 3 of us do software, and there isn't even a yr 11 class - it's being phased out from my (all-girls) school, i think
What school is this?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by enak
What school is this?
marist sisters woolwich

there's interest in IPT and IT (which wasnt a subject option until this year) but software has been dying a slow painful death ever since it was introduced

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)