Wealth Management ---> IB/MC/TAS (1 Viewer)

aidan059

HSC
Hi guys

I've been exploring my options for next year and one of them is a cadetship in wealth management. I was wondering in terms of the likelihood of a cadetship in wealth management (in an average firm) being looked preferable upon when applying for Deals (TAS) roles at the big 4 or IB role, even just for internships. Are there similarities between the 2? and this is given I'll be studying a Comm/Comp Sci degree at UNSW. Also do they like comp sci students? any advice would be appreciated

etxpy

HSC
N/A
Any cadetship is far better than being a full time student

etxpy

HSC
N/A
It's what you make of it. Being buried in a textbook doesn't make you a more appealing candidate during the recruitment process unless you are well rounded and presentable. Obviously the larger the firm the better, but any cadetship can give you that edge when telling your story.

aidan059

HSC
It's what you make of it. Being buried in a textbook doesn't make you a more appealing candidate during the recruitment process unless you are well rounded and presentable. Obviously the larger the firm the better, but any cadetship can give you that edge when telling your story.
but I mean like even applying to internships... comm/law with high atars and hd's surely is better than just some dude who worked at a mid tier with comm/compsci

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Outside of Macquarie Capital, quality of candidates drops big time. If you have any experience working in wealth management (private?) It mayb be helpful to get into say Macquarie Asset Management. You'll still need high marks but yeah a comm/law kid with a high WAM and anothrr previous internship will probably also get an interviee so it just depends who does the interview the best.

I'm still shocked how kids in high school know any of these terms. I only found out about "IB" in 2nd year uni.

aidan059

HSC
Outside of Macquarie Capital, quality of candidates drops big time. If you have any experience working in wealth management (private?) It mayb be helpful to get into say Macquarie Asset Management. You'll still need high marks but yeah a comm/law kid with a high WAM and anothrr previous internship will probably also get an interviee so it just depends who does the interview the best.

I'm still shocked how kids in high school know any of these terms. I only found out about "IB" in 2nd year uni.
Not criticising but I'm just curious where you got the info that the quality drops outside Macquarie capital, I thought asset management was extremely difficult to get into?

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
If you get one don't mess up managing/playing with OPM xD

etxpy

HSC
N/A
Macquarie Capital is their investment banking arm. AM is less competitive.

aidan059

HSC
Why and how does Computer Science relate with Investment Banking Division, Management Consulting or Transaction Advisory at Big 4? Perhaps, I would look into Trading with Comp. Sci
it's sort of in the same way IB is usually comm/law, I don't think any people in IB would use what they studied in law in their daily job. I've even seen a few chemical engineering/comm guys in IB. I don't think it's the relation more of the skills you develop ie analytical thinking skills. With tonnes of commerce degrees out there I would of thought having at least having evidence of technological skills or analytical skills as well as a commerce degree would be a plus?

aidan059

HSC
and in regards to management consulting, i don't think nearly anything you study at uni would relate to management consulting, so basically i thought you'd just need to have evidence of analytical/problem solving skills. As stated on boston consulting's website "we take anyone from any degree"

Confound

HSC
But ib/tas/mc would also take people with straight commerce degrees (no need for co-op). It's really not that hard as people think to get interviews. Why do an extra degree?

aidan059

HSC
But ib/tas/mc would also take people with straight commerce degrees (no need for co-op). It's really not that hard as people think to get interviews. Why do an extra degree?
If you had a straight commerce degree, you'd probably have to have HD's combined with honours to even get an interview. Nearly every person I know who works in IB has comm/law degrees at usyd/unsw.

Confound

HSC
If you had a straight commerce degree, you'd probably have to have HD's combined with honours to even get an interview. Nearly every person I know who works in IB has comm/law degrees at usyd/unsw.
I have a straight commerce degree and nowhere near hd wam lol.

But you right, there's a lot of comlaw. Just saying you don't need comlaw or super high honour grades

Just the right type of ECs would do tbh

Last edited:

aidan059

HSC

But you right, there's a lot of comlaw. Just saying you don't need comlaw or super high honour grades

May I ask what firm you're at? And any internships you've attained? In pm if you don't want to share please

aidan059

HSC

If I'm hearing this right you're saying a dude with straight comm, a few ecs and retail work experience should have no problems getting hired at maccap, credit Suisse, Goldman, UBS or other IBs?

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
You will get better responses if you ask this question on Whirlpool.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If I'm hearing this right you're saying a dude with straight comm, a few ecs and retail work experience should have no problems getting hired at maccap, credit Suisse, Goldman, UBS or other IBs?
I wouldn't have interpreted what he said in that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)