• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What are your thoughts on the NSW education system? (2 Viewers)

Shavi Masee

HSC
Do you like it? What could be improved? What do you think abt selective, public, and private schools? And compared to other countries do you think we have a better education system? opinions on anything else...

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
so insanely flawed! hsc is not a good representation of 13 years of schooling and puts already disadvantaged students (esp in regional/rural/remote areas) at more of a disadvantage
brother, to get into med rurally, you need ~91atar and 70%tile... If anything, urban students are disadvantaged.

Bastani

HSC
so insanely flawed! hsc is not a good representation of 13 years of schooling and puts already disadvantaged students (esp in regional/rural/remote areas) at more of a disadvantage
if you live in rural areas thats your own fault

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
private schools shouldnt receive government funding
That's not really fair. Private schools need funding regardless. The costs of education for students can only do so much- this being teacher salaries, sports extracurriculars etc. Government funding is essential for any school for stuff like infrastructure, resources, funding for indp. papers etc so I don't 100% agree that it should be completely axed from the latter. I think it should simply be reduced.

beanbug

HSC
brother, to get into med rurally, you need ~91atar and 70%tile... If anything, urban students are disadvantaged.
its also way harder to get a 91 atar if youre in a rural area. the quality of teaching and resources are much less than in metro areas (speaking from experience as someone who has gone to school in a regional and metro area) and these students typically don't perform as well in the final exams

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
nah fr if you live in rural areas thats your fault and plus theres so many benefits and opportunties rural students get that others dont, yk how much easier it is to get into selective, uni, med school etc. if you're living rural
how is it their fault? nobody controls what family they’re born into. i can’t just tell my parents “hey can we move to sydney please even though we can’t afford it”

Bastani

HSC
how is it their fault? nobody controls what family they’re born into. i can’t just tell my parents “hey can we move to sydney please even though we can’t afford it”
then go to a boarding school or use government subsidies idk

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
its also way harder to get a 91 atar if youre in a rural area. the quality of teaching and resources are much less than in metro areas (speaking from experience as someone who has gone to school in a regional and metro area) and these students typically don't perform as well in the final exams
I did asw. defs less resources in rural areas but you just need to be resourceful and manage your time well. Ik someone on this forum who got a 99.5+ in a school ranked in the 400s. 91 isn't impossible to do if you can trek it out and grind. Any atar over 90 is hard to achieve. But note that the cuttoff for students in urban cities would be 8x the effort required for the same cuttoff rural so take this advantage to your benefit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)