what can we learn about New Kingdom Egypt from Tuts Tomb (1 Viewer)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys

I have this essay question to do on wednesday and our teacher has kinda hinted that this is the question. Basically what we have to do is answer the question: what can we learn about New Kingdom Egypt from the contents of Tutankhamens tomb? we will be given some sources and use them to answer the question as well as use some of our own knowledge.

At present i have some notes i made that consist of an object and how it relates to religion or art or technology etc. I was wondering if this is the right way to go about the question and whether anyone could provide me other helpful notes/websites?

thanks

X

xeuyrawp

Your method sounds pretty good. Take some items generally (for example the canopic chest and jars), and take some specifically (a statue), when you see fit.

Remember that there's a big difference between royal and private burials; does this mean there was a different belief system among the royals, or did they simply have greater means?

It's a lot of stuff to cover, so make a plan. I find the best way to arrange these essays is by first taking a point, eg metal technologies, and then take a piece of evidence, eg local vs foreign weapons. But when you present your essay, stick your evidence first and analyse it - so effectively, your essay is analysing a range of points by going through a range of evidence. Plan your essay originally based on the points, so you're moving in a logical way, although you may prefer to move from one piece to another piece of similar archaeology (artefacts, ecofacts, art and architecture) instead. It's just a choice you have to make based on what works for you.

Hope that makes sense. :)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks yeahh i had that kind of structure in mind. My teacher goes that we need to use the sources he provides us to really get the marks. Thats really where im worried on cos you cant really study for that :(

X

xeuyrawp

I'm sure you'll do fine, you've identified the right method, imo. :)

I can't stress enough, however, the importance of pointing out the context of Tutankhamun's tomb: a) Royal, b) certain time in NK.

a) Means that the stuff will be better quality, but perhaps also different for religious reasons. b) Means that the tomb will only reflect the culture around it, not the whole New Kingdom.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
ah right will do

also would yOh happen to know the purpose of each of the four rooms in the tomb? Teacher said it might be useful to tie in that. I cant seem to work out from the contents of the tomb what their purpose might be.

X

xeuyrawp

clintmyster said:
ah right will do

also would yOh happen to know the purpose of each of the four rooms in the tomb? Teacher said it might be useful to tie in that. I cant seem to work out from the contents of the tomb what their purpose might be.
Have you checked out Thebanmappingproject?

To be honest, KV62's annoying because of the distinct possibility that its architecture is non-royal.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
ah okay. I began writing my practice essay. I think i kept it a bit late!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the contents of Tutankhamun’s tomb as well as other sources in the time period, we can analyse and draw conclusions concerning life in New Kingdom Egypt. We can come to terms with and grasp their art and culture, religion and ideologies, death and funerary practices, levels of technology and the significance of the pharaoh to his people and the functioning of their society.

The pharaoh in New Kingdom Egypt had a pivotal role to play in sustaining order, protecting their people and ensuring a prosperous harvest was yielded.
Pharaohs, particularly Tutankhamun were looked at as the supreme ruler, where his power and influence in Egyptian society was second to none and seldom compromised. The rings of nobility indicate a clear class structure where he is considered at or above the noble status. The cobra on his crown further validates his supremacy as well as the vengeful nature of the king.
In battle or times or dire conflict, the king would lead his army. This labelled him as a warrior-king as opposed to a figure who solely guides his people. These acts are suggestive of his protective nature of his people. From the tomb, this idea is backed up by the crook and flail, the insignia of Osiris. One of the several epithets labelling Osiris, ‘good shepherd’ parallels him to the pharaoh herding his sheep, his people.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does it seem to be on the right track? Do you think the essay might be too much to write in just 35 mins? Also do you know of any items in the tomb that are suggestive of kings ensuring that the nile floods and good harvest is obtained?

X

xeuyrawp

Do your introduction in the same order as your essay.

I'd do it something like this.

Religious beliefs, pharaoh as religious and political figure, bureaucracy and international relations, military, material culture, other social aspects (eg role of women, occupations, social stratification, etc).

Depending how long your essay is (I assume it's prelim, so not long...), you could make a few of those points one paragraph. Come HSC time, though, you'll be expected to have ~ 4-5 reasonably long and fleshed-out paragraphs + intro and conclusion.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 35 mins to write it and were gonna be given sources weve never seen. I timed myself with a practice essay. It worked out at 700words/25 mins. Not too bad I guess. Add 200 words for the source based stuff and thats my complete essay? Any feedback would be nice =]

From the contents of Tutankhamun’s tomb as well as other sources in the time period, we can analyse and draw conclusions concerning life in New Kingdom Egypt. We can come to terms with and grasp the impact of the pharaoh in the functioning of society, religion, death and burial practices, art and technology.

The pharaoh in New Kingdom Egypt had a pivotal role to play in sustaining order, protecting their people and ensuring a prosperous harvest was yielded.
Pharaohs, particularly Tutankhamun were looked at as the undoubted ruler, where their power and influence in Egyptian society was second to none and seldom compromised. The rings of nobility indicate a clear class structure where he is considered at or above the noble status. The cobra on his crown further validates his supremacy and vengeful king-like nature.
In times of dire conflict, the king would lead his army. This labelled him as a protective warrior-king as opposed to a figure who solely guides his people. From the tomb, this idea is backed up by the crook and flail, the insignia of Osiris where an epithet labelling Osiris as the ‘good shepherd’ parallels him to the pharaoh herding his sheep, his people.

In New Kingdom Egypt, there was a strong emphasis on religion where it formed the basis of the ideologies of the Egyptian people and how they went about honouring deities and their pharaoh.
Tutankhamun also restored the orthodox religion from the changes made by his predecessor Akhenaton who forced the soul adoration of Aten, the sun God. Confirmation of this was the carvings on Tutankhamun’s gold throne of him and his wife under the sun disk (Aten). Their names are inscribed in both their Aton and Amon forms suggesting the transition period in the abolishing of the worship of Aten and the construction of the throne early in his reign.
Egyptians were also to an extent discouraged from worship certain Gods such as Seth. In the figure showing Tutankhamun as the harpooner, the king was believed to be hunting hippopotamuses. In the context of the mythical conflict between Horus and Seth, Seth turns into a. This displays the king’s ever constant battle with Seth and evil. His omission as a hippopotamus from the figure may be due to the fact he threatens the king. In this sense, this figure acts as propaganda dissuading the Egyptian people from worshipping certain Gods.

Unique amongst the New Kingdom Egyptians was their death and burial practices. They underwent numerous processes in order to ensure the body was well preserved for use by the soul in the afterlife. Apparent in Tutankhamun’s tomb was one such practice of the removal of internal organs (liver, stomach, lungs and intestines) from the body and their placement in four canopic jars. Furthermore, from his linen-wrapped body and the perfumes and oils buried with him, we can also see the extent to which Egyptians taken to preserve significant individuals. There was also a widespread belief that the head was the ‘seat of life’ and was thought to be of particular importance for continued existence after death. In Tutankhamun’s case, an ivory headrest was kept under his head to make it comfortable for when the soul returns to its body. Only nobles and pharaohs got this extravagant treatment. Commoners were often buried or discarded in the sand.

New Kingdom Egypt art was renowned for their intricately designed golden artefacts where special attention was paid to detail. Such examples include the dagger and sheathe and Tutankhamun’s death mask where meticulous golden inscriptions and decorating techniques were used to produce stunning items. The foreign materials of certain objects like the wood of the ceremonial chair which was common in Lebanese furniture also suggests that Egyptians traded in order to construct some of their elaborate items.

Through closely studying Tutankhamun’s tomb, we can familiarise the modern world with ancient Egyptians importance of the pharaoh, religion, death and burial practices, art and technology. It should be said that the contents of Tutankhamun’s tomb, in all respects, is an indispensible source of information in the comprehension of life in New Kingdom Egypt.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

* Sole.

Good, but the way you phrase everything is: [Observation] + [Evidence to back it up],

when really, you should have: [Evidence] --comes from--> [Observation],

or, at least: [Observation] <--made by-- [Evidence].

Ie, use evidence more prominently. Hope that makes sense.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
It makes perfect sense. I just forgot like the biggest tip our teacher gave us and you just gave me it. I think i changed it correctly. Check it please. The test is in like 4hrs! better practice getting all my points in! Thanks for the help

From the contents of Tutankhamun’s tomb as well as other sources in the time period, we can analyse and draw conclusions concerning life in New Kingdom Egypt. We can come to terms with and grasp their art and culture, religion, death and funerary practices, technology and the impact of the pharaoh to his people and the functioning of their society.

Two such items that showed this are the rings of nobility and the King’s crown. The rings of nobility indicate a clear class structure where he is considered at or above the noble status. The cobra on his crown further validates his supremacy and vengeful king-like nature. It could therefore be said that Pharaohs, particularly Tutankhamun were looked at as the undoubted ruler, where their power and influence in Egyptian society was second to none and seldom compromised.
Found in the burial chamber was a crook and flail, the insignia of Osiris. Osiris had several epithets labelling him, in this case being the ‘good shepherd’. It can be concluded that he is paralleled to the pharaoh of whom leads his herd, his people.

In New Kingdom Egypt, there was a strong emphasis on religion where it formed the basis of the ideologies of the Egyptian people and how they went about honouring deities and their pharaoh.
From paintings and carvings in objects such as the golden throne, there was an alteration in religion in Tutankhamun’s time. Here is presented with his wife under the sun disk (Aten). Their names are also inscribed in both their Aton and Amon forms suggesting the transition period in the abolishing of the worship of Aten and restoration to the orthodox religion. It also suggests that the construction of this throne was early in his reign.
In the figure showing Tutankhamun as the harpooner, the king was believed to be hunting hippopotamuses. In the context of the mythical conflict between Horus and Seth, Seth turns into a hippopotamus. This displays the king’s ever constant battle with Seth and evil. His omission in this form, from the figure may be due to the fact he threatens the king. In this sense, this figure acts as propaganda dissuading the Egyptian people from worshipping certain Gods.

Unique amongst the New Kingdom Egyptians was their death and burial practices.
Apparent in Tutankhamun’s tomb was one such practice of the removal of internal organs (liver, stomach, lungs and intestines) from the body and their placement in four canopic jars. Furthermore, from his linen-wrapped body and the perfumes and oils buried with him, we can also see the extent to which Egyptians taken to preserve significant individuals for use by their soul in the afterlife.
In Tutankhamun’s case, an ivory headrest was kept under his head to make it comfortable to correspond to the belief that the head was the ‘seat of life’ and was thought to be of particular importance for continued existence after death. Only nobles and pharaohs got this extravagant treatment. Commoners were often buried or discarded in the sand.

New Kingdom Egypt art was renowned for their intricately designed golden artefacts where special attention was paid to detail. Such examples include the dagger and sheathe and Tutankhamun’s death mask where meticulous golden inscriptions and decorating techniques were used to produce stunning items. The foreign materials of certain objects like the wood of the ceremonial chair which was common in Lebanese furniture also suggests that Egyptians traded in order to construct some of their elaborate items.

Through closely studying Tutankhamun’s tomb, we can familiarise the modern world with ancient Egyptians art and culture, religion, death and funerary practices, technology and the role and importance of the pharaoh. It should be said that the contents of Tutankhamun’s tomb, in all respects, is an indispensible source of information in the comprehension of life in New Kingdom Egypt.

shoutoutloud

HSC
clintmyster said:
Hi guys

I have this essay question to do on wednesday and our teacher has kinda hinted that this is the question. Basically what we have to do is answer the question: what can we learn about New Kingdom Egypt from the contents of Tutankhamens tomb? we will be given some sources and use them to answer the question as well as use some of our own knowledge.

At present i have some notes i made that consist of an object and how it relates to religion or art or technology etc. I was wondering if this is the right way to go about the question and whether anyone could provide me other helpful notes/websites?

thanks
hey luckly i did a haf yearly Q on this hahaha

you could talk about: the images in the tomb
* that the new pharoh was the bringer of mart/peace/ justice
* that the new pharoh buried the old pharoh
* umm heaps more email me

X

xeuyrawp

shoutoutloud said:
hey luckly i did a haf yearly Q on this hahaha

you could talk about: the images in the tomb
* that the new pharoh was the bringer of mart/peace/ justice
* that the new pharoh buried the old pharoh
* umm heaps more email me
a) *pharaob. b) *ma'at. c) Did you read the rest of the thread? :-/

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks guys i did the essay in 35 mins and written 3 pages which im happy with since i got all my points in however after discussing with my mates they were telling me how their conclusion was half a page. They like summed up their points they made in earlier paragraphs like.."through the tomb, life in new kingdom egypt is said to be heavily dominated by the pharoah being powerful. Certain Gods were not worshipped and so forth...i was wondering was this the BETTER way to go about the conclusion or is it just a load of nonsense?

X

xeuyrawp

HSC conclusions and introductions shouldn't be very long at all. :-/

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
okay thank god haha..i was a bit worried. We had this other essay to do earlier in the year about why science was important in archaeology and i mangaged to get 18/20 but the teacher did comment on what i did wrong accept he said i was detailed (cant be a bad thing right?) however i noticed my introduction, like this essay were practically identical and thought that might have cost me marks. 2 people in that essay got 19 and one got 20 but the person who got 20 was quite succinct in their paragraphs and stuff and yeahh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)