What happened??? (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I think your estimates are still off.

88 in MX2 seems to be about 60/100 this year.

91 in MX1 seems to be about 50/70.

88 in chem seems to be about 69/100.
Yeah Chem was definitely off.

Just goes to show to Haya that even my estimates were off and overestimated my results.

Makematics

HSC
+1, honestly couldnt wait for the day you received your sub 99 ATAR, it was the slap in the face you needed
I'm going to call bullshit on your 94 Atar.

ummm hey guys, can you not be such cunts to haya? where is your fucking empathy? He posted that his dad got fucking cancer during his HSC, and now he finds out he got way lower marks than what he was expecting. There is absolutely no need for you guys (especially bladey) to feed your egos by rubbing it in even more. I don't care if you believe haya has been a cunt for several years on these forums, there is no justification for your comments. Just calm the fuck down and be rational, since you have no idea what he could be going through right now (nor do I).
/endrant

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC
So, I am supremely surprised and very, very disappointed in my marks and ATAR, and honestly dont know what happened. Only thing im happy as fk in is english haha, no idea how in the hell I managed 84, since I wrote 5 essays off the cuff 3 days before english and did not get them checked or anything, just thought "English, you can go screw yourself bitch, I aint wasting time perfecting these essays"

anyway here is situation for everything else, can someone pls explain, and can I get this fixed or what the fuck went wrong, I mean srsly...

Maths extension 1: I checked entire exam with carrotsticks solutions, and including ONLY the questions where I got 100% the full answer out, I got minimum score of 56/70. But there were other questions where I messed up the tiniest thing right at the end, but got 90% of working out done, and it total I calculated I should be getting 62/70. Afaik this should be more than 91 exam mark which I got? (Since I was ranked 2nd got an 87 assessment mark fml -_-) I feel like a retardate ffs, not getting B6 in the easiest course at school for me.

Maths extension 2: Now this is seriously fucking shocking, I also ONLY considered the questions where I got 100% solution correct, that equated to 66/100. Found 4 extras which I was told I would get, for 70/100. I got exam and assessment mark of SEVENTY NINE (79). Can someone explain, how the fuck is this possible? NO WAY IN HELL I got less than 66!! I GOT THE FULL FUCKING ANSWER for 66 marks, how can I get any lower???

Chemistry: 18/20 MCQ, in long response wrote very detailed and structured stuff for everything, checked all calculations and messed up a bit in TWO calcs, like 4 or 5 marks at most. I could not fathom getting anything less than 90, would expect at the very least 93 or 94. I got 86, exam and assessment. HOW?????????????? Checked ALL CALCS with BoS, EVERYTHING was right except for those two questions were couple of numbers messed up.
I mean I cant have seriously been THAT fucking off the mark in long response, jesus christ...

Physics: Had no issues whatsoever in long response, I knew everything there was to know and wrote concise, to the point and used all appropriate terminology. Calculations I messed up numbers (Halved 550 for 225 lol) in THREE Q's, not more than 6 marks or something. And I get a FUCKING 83 exam and assessment.

What even....

Guys, I admit I didn't study as much as I should have, but I fucking knew my stuff pretty damn well either way, what the hell happened???? ext 2 especially I feel just WTF, want to destroy something in fire and acid and molten lead. Want to give someone brain damage and fuck them up so bad. Jesus christ man....

Final atar was 94.55, everyone in my family, friends and all is like YEAAA YOU DID SO GOOD !!! :DDD

In my mind im like YEAAA NO FUCK YOU, I DONT WANT TO TALK.

Anyone see that Neel Kolhatkar vid? hahaha
There's really nothing here that sounds out of the ordinary. You just overestimated your ability and you can't expect any other outcome, other than what was given to you, when you're extremely egoistic. I get it that you wanna prove yourself to be something, but really, and I'm sorry to say this, you operated during the HSC like you didn't need anyone's help, quick to mention state ranks before you even sat the exam, and you were (are) way too consumed in that irrelevant IQ rubbish.

I hope you now understand that coming on here in the days and weeks preceding the HSC and talking about your imminent state rank in phys/chem and your failure in English isn't going to render this falsity of a premonition into a reality.

Anyway, I have nothing against you, and your ATAR is by no means a train wreck. Just accept what you got. I missed all rounders by 1-2 marks in 3 subjects, but you don't see me running around in hysteria saying I was falsely marked. If you noticed at school and with your friends, those who were humble, achieved the highest results and those who expected state ranks before they even sat the exam, performed at a far lower level. Have foresight but don't try to predict the unpredictable.

Last edited:

Makematics

HSC
If you noticed at school and with your friends, those who were humble, achieved the highest results and those who expected state ranks before they even sat the exam, performed at a far lower level. Have foresight but don't try to predict the unpredictable.
wisest words ever spoken on BoS

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
There's really nothing here that sounds out of the ordinary. You just overestimated your ability and you can't expect any other outcome, other than what was given to you, when you're extremely egoistic. I get it that you wanna prove yourself to be something, but really, and I'm sorry to say this, you operated during the HSC like you didn't need anyone's help, quick to mention state ranks before you even sat the exam, and you were (are) way too consumed in that irrelevant IQ rubbish.

I hope you now understand that coming on here in the days and weeks preceding the HSC and talking about your imminent state rank in phys/chem and your failure in English isn't going to render this falsity of a premonition into a reality.

Anyway, I have nothing against you, and your ATAR is by no means a train wreck. Just accept what you got. I missed all rounders by 1-2 marks in 3 subjects, but you don't see me running around in hysteria saying I was falsely marked. If you noticed at school and with your friends, those who were humble, achieved the highest results and those who expected state ranks before they even sat the exam, performed at a far lower level. Have foresight but don't try to predict the unpredictable.
Wise words ManG, rep worthy.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Well the biology criteria analed me, coz I thought I could near SR.

*note, hoping to get my mark revised to a 92, there appears to be an error, getting it rechecked.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Well the biology criteria analed me, coz I thought I could near SR.

*note, hoping to get my mark revised to a 92, there appears to be an error, getting it rechecked.
Yeah same. I got fucked over by physics and chem marking. I'm getting them both rechecked just for piece of mind. Don't want to be left wondering if I actually did deserve a B6.

hayabusaboston

HSC
I mean, amirbang got 92 chem mark when he had no more than 5 countable errors in his paper, but he got analed baaad too haha. Exia, boser, got 98. Fucking incredible job m8. Well done.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
One more thing Haya:

I hope your father gets well soon and I strongly suggest you apply for EAS if you didn't get the ATAR you need.

Also, if there is anything else you need, just PM me.

Last edited:

hayabusaboston

HSC
Haya, you must have overestimated yourself or your writing is bad.

I received a shock in English (79) and realised after reading through this thread that I must have bad writing or overestimated how good my essays were.

I'll be posting something similar in my bingo thread when I have time to get to it, but my raw estimates of 64% in MX2 (88 exam mark), 55/70 in MX1 (91 exam mark) and 80/100 raw in Physics (14/20 mc lol) (92 exam mark) were pretty spot on. Chem, I was off with 80/100, and most likely got a 72/100 (19/20 mc lol) (88 exam mark). My point is that it is easy to overestimate yourself, even when you have done superbly.

Even though 3 of my estimates were correct, and one was slightly off and one was completely off.

And also, I knew my content very thoroughly, but I busted myself with 50 hours a week in past papers in the month lead up to exams.

Did you do every past paper for each subject at least twice? I did that and received more than I needed or wanted.

Did you understand the marking criteria and read over the sample answers?

You may have misunderstood the marking criteria's of the Sciences and possibly even in maths.

The HSC is not just about your information and knowledge, but also the communication of that information to the markers.

I'm sorry, but you have to accept the responsibility and learn from these mistakes. At least you did well enough to get that ATAR, which keeps your options open :)

EDIT: I had terrible handwriting when writing fast, but that barely affects English, as the marker grasps words here and there.

Luckily, in Maths and the Sciences I would think deeply before putting pen to paper. So in the end I took up all the time of each test to finish (All 3 hours/2 hours of the test). Although I didn't get to check my answers, I did them really good in the first place and had no problem with them, and my writing was super neat and small.
I felt working through paper was waste of time, so I went thru chem and phys papers just visualising what I would do in each question step by step, and when I was done I'd check whether what I had in my mind matched somewhat with the sample answers. Maths papers I just did Q4-7 MX1 and for MX2 I did 2006-2012 whole thing.

I felt I understood marking criteria, although I never went through examiner notes and marking criteria for each exam on BoS site, as teacher told me to, I thuoght the past paper booklets would suffice in their sample answers.

Maybe I did misunderstand most of the long response questions, and gave completely the wrong stuff. Hm.

I find difficult to understand how one can misinterpret maths marking criteria, yet perhaps somehow I managed to do so. I would say more likely than that though is my crazy scribbling all over the place.

Reading Realise's post on off estimates I am just so aggravated and pissed off they disregarded my answers for some maths Q's, because I know more certainly than my own name I didn't get as low as I did.

planino

HSC
Sorry to hear about your dad, haya. The fact that you got the ATAR you did is amazing, because in your situation I would have simply fallen apart and given up. I'm not going to ignore your cockiness on the forums, but props to you for that number despite your situation. I hope you applied for EAS? I'm glad your dad made it through until now, and hopefully he improves. I'm sure you're aware of this, but do apply for med next year if you still have that dream.

Best of luck in the future, both with your dad and with your attitude. Humbling down even a little will get you far, believe me.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I applied for Access Melbourne I think, when do we find out if we were successful in EAS or Access applications?

My friend just texted me saying he got an e-mail or something.

That's if you applied before the HSC though.

If you apply now, you don't get notification until after the main round, but I think they are included for the main round (I was about to apply but I don't need to anymore).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I felt working through paper was waste of time, so I went thru chem and phys papers just visualising what I would do in each question step by step, and when I was done I'd check whether what I had in my mind matched somewhat with the sample answers. Maths papers I just did Q4-7 MX1 and for MX2 I did 2006-2012 whole thing.

I felt I understood marking criteria, although I never went through examiner notes and marking criteria for each exam on BoS site, as teacher told me to, I thuoght the past paper booklets would suffice in their sample answers.

Maybe I did misunderstand most of the long response questions, and gave completely the wrong stuff. Hm.

I find difficult to understand how one can misinterpret maths marking criteria, yet perhaps somehow I managed to do so. I would say more likely than that though is my crazy scribbling all over the place.

Reading Realise's post on off estimates I am just so aggravated and pissed off they disregarded my answers for some maths Q's, because I know more certainly than my own name I didn't get as low as I did.
Its possible that happened for Physics and Chemistry. I wouldn't be surprised.

However, I'm not sure about your maths.

It might be worth a recheck. Unfortunately, you can't get the paper re-marked.

My estimate was fairly accurate though compared to yours. I'm waiting to see the raw cut-off and find out how accurate though.

However, I was completely off for Chemistry, and even after doing the past 10 years of papers about twice each, its obvious I didn't understand the criteria as well as I thought I did. For Physics, the only reason why I did better than in Chem is because the option this year was filled with graphs and calculations (12 marks I think luckily).

So for Chem, I probably got around 50/80 (disregarding m/c). I never would have thought I had gotten that.

In the sciences, you don't know what kind of marking criteria they have. Its made like that because they don't want everyone to get above 90% raw, or else its hard to differentiate between students.

Also, the harsh criteria's are there so that "silly mistakes" are not an excuse and do not affect the best students.

I don't know bro. Just keep strong and positive.

I'm pretty sure if I was in your situation though I definitely would not have done anywhere as well as you did.

hayabusaboston

HSC
They don't lower marks if they find an error.
OK what IF,
it was the writing in maths

Now that its marked, there's nothing I can do about telling them "Pls can I decipher solutions for u to show u I actually did know what I was talking about?"

Nothing at all?

HSC
OK what IF,
it was the writing in maths

Now that its marked, there's nothing I can do about telling them "Pls can I decipher solutions for u to show u I actually did know what I was talking about?"

Nothing at all?
No lol. There is no such thing as a 'remark' in the HSC - your mark will ONLY be changed if there was a clerical error in processing it from what the marker wrote down, to what was entered into the system. You cannot get a scan of your solutions and bring them to the board and say: GIB ME MOAR MARX. It is over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)