what is the difference between social convetions and social institutions? (1 Viewer)

steffiduck

HSC
After our trials, our extension 1 teacher told us that we were misusing those two terms.

As I understand, a social convention is a something that is expected from society (like gander roles) and that social institution is (according to my teacher) a set of prinicples that society follow (like marriage, the class system etc)

Could someone please clarify this for me (and possibly give me more examples of both)

thanks!

ccc123

HSC
From my understanding, a convention is indeed a set of principles or expectations society sets. And yes, a correct example would be gender roles. A institution differs in that it is not a mere principle, but an organisation or establishment that promotes a specific cause. E.g, the church is a religious institution.

Zephyrio

HSC
ccc123 said:
From my understanding, a convention is indeed a set of principles or expectations society sets. And yes, a correct example would be gender roles. A institution differs in that it is not a mere principle, but an organisation or establishment that promotes a specific cause. E.g, the church is a religious institution.
Lol, look at the dates ccc123! :shy:

Azreil

HSC
It helped me ; D Especially with my midcourse looming... : /

luridlysteph14

HSC
Very helpful, thank you.

But yes, Unfortunately with no one to collaborate or clear threads, this happens. They should have like, specific catagories for P&P, DH, Portrait, &tc & then extra questions. Gah. ORGANISATION PEOPLE!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)