What is ther healthiest cereal? (which doesn't tatse like crap) (1 Viewer)

HSC
SuP.

Well me and my mum have always beet in disagreement over this, but I thought I'd put an end to it.

What is, or what are the healthiest cereals to eat for breakfast?

I've personally always been a big fan of breakfast, and I like to eat a big bowl of whatever cereal with warm milk :D

I've been eating Nutrigrain for.....probably around 3-4 years now (can't remember the exact name of the one I ate before).

Going behind all the idiotic ads of every single company (seriously, I don't wana to even see anyone mention them), which has the most nutritional value in terms of:

1. Very Low Sugar Content
2. Low Carbs
3. Other Nutritions (iron, zinc, vitamins, calcium, etc)

I'm sure someone here knows this stuff. Basically, I hear that nutrigrain isn't all that good in terms of carbs, that weetbix is better, etc, but I want to know just to what extent this is true, or is it another stupid popularity thing (ie. ford vs holden).

Thanks.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i'm pretty sure nutrigrain has lots of sugar and carbs in it caus its an energy one

as for healthy ones, the healthiest cereal-ish thing i know of would be muesli, and it doesnt taste THAT bad (though before a couple of weeks ago i'd never tried it). the fruit's good, and there's the cereal bits (oats or whatever) to add a bit more sustinance

HSC
Santa, I wana get a discussion going, not a poll :p

alby, yeh that's been my logic, sugar = energy. And I still don't have a lot of problem with sugar....because it's not as bad as carbs, which convert straight to fat generally.

Is there like a site, which has the nutrition info on all the cereals? That'd be pretty good, since it's all relative. You can't say one cereal has too much or little of anything, unless you compare it with others on a per 100g basis.

Which is why I decided to start this thread.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Santa, I wana get a discussion going, not a poll :p

alby, yeh that's been my logic, sugar = energy. And I still don't have a lot of problem with sugar....because it's not as bad as carbs, which convert straight to fat generally.

Is there like a site, which has the nutrition info on all the cereals? That'd be pretty good, since it's all relative. You can't say one cereal has too much or little of anything, unless you compare it with others on a per 100g basis.

Which is why I decided to start this thread.
then why'd you ask for one which's low in sugar?

this might be good
breakfasts: http://choice.com.au/viewArticle.as...&tid=100008&p=1&title=Test:+Breakfast+cereals
cereals: http://www.choice.com.au/files/OCT05BreakfastCereals.pdf
muesli: http://www.choice.com.au/files/OCT05Muesli.pdf
kids cereals (for anyone who's interested): http://www.choice.com.au/files/OCT05KidsCereal.pdf

ps. its ubuntu not ununtu
/nerd

Last edited:
HSC
sugar is carbs, dude.

and it gets used up quicker than other carbs, so you're like "woohoo!" for a couple of hours and then like fuck me i'm tired and hungry :eek: whereas with the other carbs you just feel good for longer i guess.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Nutrigrain is high gi, ie. the carbs are absorbed quickly therefore it is unhealthy.

Weetbix shits all over it in terms of nutritional value.

If you want something that will actually provide you with a good source of energy, you want low gi.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:

This is totally wrong.

Sugar is a carbohydrate, moreover it is generally a bad carbohydrate, especially if you are eating it for breakfast.

I'll quickly break it down, to be brief, you can generally categorized carbs into two types, high gi (glycemic index) and low gi.

High gi carbohydrates are absorbed at a much faster rate than low gi, which is gradually absorbed through the day. Most sugars will be almost immediately absorbed, then the energy boost will last from 30min to an hour. To put it in simple terms, essentially, if it is not burnt off in this time it becomes fat. Thus, the best time to have these substances is directly before or during physical activity (eg. before a football game and at half time).

Low Gi carbs are essentially the good ones. They are rarely turned into fat and provide you with sustained energy throughout the day.

Nutrigran's "energy" value consists of high gi sugars. If you checked the energy value of cereals like fruit loops i'm sure it would be similar.

HSC
alby said:
then why'd you ask for one which's low in sugar?

ps. its ubuntu not ununtu
Still counts. Yer, I know, I use it :p

One of these summer holidays, maybe I'll learn how to type....maybe.

@kathelle, yer I like porridge as well, I've eaten it since....I could eat :D

@Septimus Dick, yeh I know about complex carbs and sugar carbs, and the other one I'm forgetting, however both have certain uses, of course it all depends on what and when you're doing.

I think it's not good to have too much of anything, but just enough, get what I'm saying?

So my questions are, which cereals have what content of each?

I'll have a look at those pdfs alby provided, they look like just what I wanted.

sallen

HSC
the best cereal you can have that is tasty and healthy is Uncle Tobeys Fibre Plus, it good

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Uncle Tobys Fibre Plus (45g serve)
14.3% fibre
660 kj per serve
low sodium

not exactly as awesome as it sounds (compared to the brans and many other flakes)

Loza33

HSC
Well, i eat plain mini wheats with soy milk every morning... not many people like it... h.m.. well i'm diabetic and my nutrionist suggested either plain mini wheats or Just Right... So im guessing they are pretty good as they have low gi and slow burning carb... i duno...

Loza33

HSC
the fruit ones do.. which is a shame coz they taste SO nice... but the plain ones are just wheat pretty much lol they dont have much flavour but thye are heaps nice with soy milk

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
all bran...
its lik 24% fibre..

and low carbs and sugar..

i dun eat this tho.. i lik sugar..

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
make your own muesli. plain oats, some sticks of bran (lots of fibre!), some corn flakes, and a little bit of dried fruit (or fresh fruit for an even healthier option). you can toast it in the oven for a nicer flavour, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)