• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is this technique called? (1 Viewer)

zviv

HSC
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help with a technique-related question. One of my texts has this thing where, at the beginning, there's this sentence used to describe the main character, and the same sentence is used right at the end, but instead it's negative to show that she's not that way anymore (because of her inner journey). What technique could you call this? I don't know if you could say it's a juxtaposition or antithesis...

Thanks in advance.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
juxtaposition focused through the lens of a motif.

or a juxtaposition which highlights the antithesis (juxtaposition which highlights how the process of inner journeys contribute to reductive world views).

BooRadley63

HSC
N/A
Sounds like antithetical repetition to me. Or repetition with an ironic reversal.

For something to be juxtaposed it needs to be immediately beside the thing it with which it is juxtaposed.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I guess the above point is valid if you take the literal definition.

However, you can also contrast and compare two different 'things' if you notice that they hold similar qualities and ISOLATE them so they ARE side by side.

i.e. if the beginning of the book says 'In the beginning God created man' and the end is "In the end man created God'. Since there's a noticeable inverted syntax, juxtaposition still exists.

Both points are valid, but check with your teacher if you're still unsure.

hannahxxx

HSC
BooRadley63 said:
Sounds like antithetical repetition to me. Or repetition with an ironic reversal.

For something to be juxtaposed it needs to be immediately beside the thing it with which it is juxtaposed.

I'd just say that the composer uses paralellism(in terms of syntax) to create contrast. Lol all the suggestions sound good to me. A lot of techniques can be applied to one situation. Obviously its a subjective thing as to which you choose

ellen.louise

HSC
Could just call it cyclic structure? It does juxtapose the 2 ideas but you need a stronger name for it than that cause everyone uses juxtaposition a million times in every essay, and it starts sounding a bit lame in yr 12. can talk about techniques within techniques tho. ask your english teacher. luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)