• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What makes you want to learn French? (1 Viewer)

THe reason behind it all...

• Pour amusant

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Pour la raison educative

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Parce que je pourrais draguer les mecs/filles franais

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • C'est ma langue maternelle

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Pas de raison, j'aime bien la langue

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • J'ai un(e) petit(e) ami(e) qui parle le franais, c'est pour cela que...

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Je n'ai pas de choix, on m'a forc

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Autres raisons

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

chepas

HSC
Pour moi c'est bien simple. J'adore le franais, moi!

I love French. It's the best! It was a very big choice in year 8 choosing subjects. No LOTE was run at all to begin with, so a group of us went ARGH so we fought and then the only option we had was French... the others loved it but I wasn't so enthused, cos I wanted to do German or Latin (the latter not even offered lol). Anyway, I came to love it.

Vive le franais! Allons enfants de la patrie! Le jour de gloire est arriv!

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by chepas
Pour moi c'est bien simple. J'adore le franais, moi!

I love French. It's the best! It was a very big choice in year 8 choosing subjects. No LOTE was run at all to begin with, so a group of us went ARGH so we fought and then the only option we had was French... the others loved it but I wasn't so enthused, cos I wanted to do German or Latin (the latter not even offered lol). Anyway, I came to love it.

Vive le franais! Allons enfants de la patrie! Le jour de gloire est arriv!
My situation was quite similar to yours, except that LOTE was offered in Year 7. When we have electives in Year 8, I didn't think I would be continuing with French but I did. And I don't regret it!! :D

Now I love French even more since that I have French-speaking friends

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
Languages are my only really strong subjects - except that no longer applies for English as I seem to be getting progressively worse at it. I do French because my sister did it and was good at it, and also several members of my family speak it as well because they had to learn it when they were growing up (Indochine).

I also did German until the end of Year 10, but dropped it because the word order and different tenses (dative, accusative, nominative etc.) can get too confusing. Looking back I also would have liked to do Japanese!

chepas

HSC
Originally posted by sugaryblue
except that LOTE was offered in Year 7.... / ...Now I love French even more since that I have French-speaking friends
Yeah, we had LOTE from year 7/8, but no one took it seriously. And neither did the teacher/s, as it was just one period every two weeks. A very looked-fwd-to period though!

Originally posted by Kazuya
Languages are my only really strong subjects - except that no longer applies for English as I seem to be getting progressively worse at it.
Same here! My french and german kicks my music and english... I just seriously dislike English. I wish we'd return to learning about grammar and how to speak properly, because I'm noticing how badly we abuse the English language, through studying another language! Also cos of that, in year 9/10 it was awful trying to come to terms with all the grammar foundations when we were trying to learn the French, and using the English one really horrible! I think we learnt more English in French than we do now. jk :D But still, it'd be good to see what all these grammatical terms would be in English, to learn more about our own native language and then know what we're doing in another one, because of it.

Yeah, is there another language one'd like to do? Jap seems cool, kaz... Latin if/when i get to uni, if it runs!

</end rambling>

Also I here you with nom/accusative/cases/genders etc with German... ARGH...

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by chepas

Also I here you with nom/accusative/cases/genders etc with German... ARGH...
Chepas, do you know how to say 'I miss you a lot too' in German?? Thanks

chepas

HSC
Ich vermisse dich auch viel. (dich could also be 'dir', I forget what the pronouns are.... gotta revise! :read:

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i learnt french because i started in yr6 and i liked it then... so i kept it up thru to yr 12.

I haven't spoken french for 2years tho, since i didn't study it at uni and i probably won't study it at TAFE.

its a marvelous language tho, and even if my speaking has gone off the rocker i can still understand it reasonably well.

Sugar

HSC
I chose French because I love it! It's one of favourite subjects and it's fun. In year 7, we learnt the basics of French, German and Japanese and it was compulsory to choose one to continue in year 8. I chose French and decided to continue it. :)

I'm thinking of picking up extension French next year (I'm in year 11) as well, but I'll see how it goes.

Serpentia

J'ai adore le francais depuis j'ai 8 ans. je ne sais pas si je peux dire pourquoi, mais j'adore comment <it sounds>.

meh learning it for a boy/girl friend. how silly

je apprends pour moi, juste pour moi

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by Serpentia
J'ai adore le francais depuis j'ai 8 ans. je ne sais pas si je peux dire pourquoi, mais j'adore comment <it sounds>.

meh learning it for a boy/girl friend. how silly

je apprends pour moi, juste pour moi
Hahaha that has now become the reason for learning it for me ....And it sounds beautiful, plus I want too live in Europe after Uni...

HSC
N/A
bonjour
comment t'appelle tu?
beau temps!

hahahaha 3 yrs of french in highschool and I remember nothing!!

chepas

HSC
Something's wrong with this page on my computer. Tout est foutu....

Another reason I spose would be to better communicate with Europeans in a planned move to go there...

I mean, I suppose this question could apply to all languages? Some learn becuase it's their native language and can kill it for the hsc :mad:, others have the passion, others the parents made them...

Serait-il mieux s'il fallait étudier une langue étrangère? Ce que je détèste, c'est que les langues étrangères ne sont pas 'populaires' - il y a des gens qui les étudient bien sûr, mais a` part eux, et le profil des langues n'est pas bien - personne ne fait les pubs sur les langues. Et, comment, en voyant que l'Australie se situe en plein Asie, n'étudions pas une langue asienne, comme le chinois, l'indonesien, le Malay? Ils sont nos voisins!!!! On doit mieux communiquer avec eux!

Fin du rant encore :rolleyes:. But don't you reckon? Profile of foregn languages should be raised, esp with Indonesia and all the countries up there? One shouldn't assume that English would be lingua franca everywhere...

Ok, even though i said i'd finish the soapbox, NOW I wil :p

sarahn

HSC
chepas said:
Fin du rant encore :rolleyes:. But don't you reckon? Profile of foregn languages should be raised, esp with Indonesia and all the countries up there? One shouldn't assume that English would be lingua franca everywhere...

Ok, even though i said i'd finish the soapbox, NOW I wil :p
i completely agree. there's only 2 students doing french out of 104 in my year which is pretty bad. i live on the nsw/vic border, and in vce, the % of students doing a lote is double what it is in nsw, coz they get scaling "bonuses". but yeah, its pretty important do a lote u learn so much about other cultures (as well as heaps about english), i only wish i could do more...

pinktiara

HSC
I feel like such an idiot....the main reason I'm doing French is because I have an absolutely MASSIVE crush on my teacher- stupid, i know. I'm actually doing pretty well though- except for speaking where I get all tongue-tied and can't form coherent sentences!

el gwapo

HSC
i might sound politically incorrect, or at worst racist. but from my schools senior language courses, those who take Japanese continuers or beginners, there is a lot more people of Asian origin who take up that language, and those who take French, German (and Spanish in another school) are of Anglo-Celtic or European background. I fit to neither of them but what makes me what do to French is because I want to continue what I started in 5th grade, as much as for fun.

personne fait les pubs pour les langues parce que des eleves aux les annees 11 et 12 veulent etudient les sciences ou les maths que le francais, par example.

my french class is so small that they've reduced the number of classes we have weekly from 6 to 5. Also doesn't help that the substitute we had for the original teacher on maternity leave got a full-time role in another school. So the 3rd string quaterback is running the show. fortunately our teacher looks like rosie o donnell with a spanish accent so no crushes there, I just concentrate on the job. :)

niptuck8068

HSC
My mum is actually French Canadian and i grew up speaking French until I was 5 years old! I went to school and saw that everybody spoke English so I decided to ask my mum to stop speaking French to me. I lost all of my French so when I started high school, I wanted to learn it, since my mum could only speak it to me and not explain it or teach it- so I chose to do French!

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
love love love!

A l'avenir, j'espere travailler en france - c'est mon reve ! alors c'est pourquoi je l'etudie :)

applying for exchange for next year, not sure if i should apply for commerce or the arts side of my degree hmmmm....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)