What marks you need for graduate law? (1 Viewer)

Left-ism

HSC
I have :

UAI- 95
1st yr average- 65%ish

What kinda marks do i need in second and third year to get into graduate law at UNSW? It says in the uni website that you need a uai of 90 and credit average. Is this accurate??

Edit: do second/third year marks count as much as first yr marks..?

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
2nd and 3rd year either count the same or greater (I cant remember what they use for graduate law as Ive never bothered to find out).

It will either be equal weighting, or 2nd year will be worth twice as much as 1st and 3rd three times as much.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I think it counts 75% GPA and 25% UAI, you'll should get in if you maintain a credit average.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
actually those are the minimum requirements. Remember grad law is just as competitive as undergrad
I emailed the faculty (usyd) a while back and the guy told me 98ish uai along with Distinction+ will make a competitive application. Credit avg at uni is bare minimum if there isn't any competition (which there will be)
They also told me that they take preference to students who have done honours (first class) and phD. Not as many 3rd year students

It'll be best to confirm this with the law faculty itself. However, they will not tell you what uni average (exactly) that you need because it's 'confidential'.
Your uai is good, just try to get as many distinctions at uni from now on and maybe do an honours? That'll definitely get you in. But it's worth a try right after 3 years too.

They don't tell us whether they take WAM or GPA (equal counting for each year).

Left-ism

HSC
yeh, i dont really wanna spend 7 years uni but!

It seems like a D average is required.
BUt it doesnt seem fair that a first yr average would count the same as a 3rd yr average, especially as your are only doing junior units in first yr.

Can someone clarify this?

thanks ;)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
like i said, the law faculty will not disclose whether they use WAM or GPA
GPA is usually equal weighing each year. It does seem unfair as most bludge during the first year. Usually most of the time, they take the last 3 years of study, so if u do an honours year you'll b taking 2nd 3rd and honours year with first year being neglected.
6 years and 7 years dont make a difference. If grad law is what you think you must do then a year or so won't make the difference. Plus an honours year will help you get ahead of other people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)