• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what percentage do u need to pass uni? (4 Viewers)

HSC
hey guys,

just wondering,

what percentage in assessments and exams do you need to pass uni?

is it the same 50% = pass?

thanks.

HSC
50 - 64 = Pass

You can also get a pass conceded which indicates a performance below that normally required for a pass.

Uni people correct/add to that?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
50-64% overall in most circumstances, however some assessments maybe scalled/realigned, etc.

HSC
85 - 100 : High Distinction (HD)
75 - 84 : Distinction (D)
65 - 74 : Credit (Cr)
50 - 64 : Pass (P)

Then you've got Fail and Pass Conceded

Uni people correct/add to that?

X

xeuyrawp

Exphate said:
45-49 is a PC
0-44 is a fail

BUT

Some unis have different band cutoffs, like I've got friends who need 90+ for an HD.

It's best to leave it until you hit uni and get all the detail, but a 50 is all you need to pass.
All the chiro people who do anatomy at Macquarie need to get something like 60% for a pass. So strange. :-/

HSC
for some different vocab: at Melbourne Uni it's:

80-100: H1
75-79: H2A
70-74: H2B
65-70: H3
50-64: Pass (P)
< 50: Fail

I don't think there is a particular cut off percentage for conceded passes - I think it is judged on a case by case basis...

Also, you might want to think about whether you need/want to study something else after your undergraduate degree (ie. go on to do postgraduate honours/masters/phD, or Juris Doctor (Law), Medicine etc.
Often to get into postgraduate study positions (and also internships etc) you need a 70% average or higher to be considered.

X

xeuyrawp

cute.asa.button said:
80-100: H1
75-79: H2A
70-74: H2B
65-70: H3
50-64: Pass (P)
< 50: Fail
Which is completely different to most NSW unis.

And what's with having "H1, H2A, H2B, H3"? Why not have "H1, H2, H3, H4"? :-/

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
haha and for actuarial studies at macq i think a pass is 65.

but often in the advanced courses e.g. optom advanced science, you will need a 65 or 70 average respectively to be passing the degree.

it is all dependant on the course. to be have a better idea of passing marks, it is better to have a look at the handbook for each course for the specific uni.

X

xeuyrawp

Exphate said:
Haha snap.

Is that a degree wide thing, or just for the subject?

Either way:

Sucks.
It's only for the chiro students doing anatomy. The other students who do the subject have the normal >50 for pass.

The subject is fucking insane as well, I sat in on most lessons and saw the exam. Hoorah for memorising nerve branches! :-/

shakky15

HSC
is it hard to pass? i mean, looks pretty easy to be getting distinctions+ if all you need is 75+

X

xeuyrawp

shakky15 said:
is it hard to pass? i mean, looks pretty easy to be getting distinctions+ if all you need is 75+
You probably won't be getting the same marks at uni as in school. Uni marks frequently have a median somewhere around 60%, and more students will be usually be clumped together there (ie the top of the bellcurve is higher).

Iruka

HSC
N/A
At uni, an average sort of mark is a credit. A pass is below average, but still OK (in that you don't have to take that course again). May still have an impact on your ability to get into honours, and stuff like that later, though.

For most courses, probably 5-10% of students will get a HD. The average calibre of the students that you are competing with is higher than at high school, since people tend to pick courses that they are good at or like. And these are the people who have survived the filtering process of getting the necessary UAI to get into uni in the first place. So don't think that getting a D or a HD is going to be comparable to getting 75+ in a HSC subject - it isn't.

In addition, some faculties are much tougher than others. Law and Arts are both notorious for tough marking at the top of the bell curve. It is not uncommon (at UNSW, anyway) to have 2nd year law subjects that give no HDs at all. From what I hear, history and philosophy are similar, too.

Somebody (Lazarus?) posted up a marks distribution table from the UNSW law school that they'd got hold of a few years ago... If you can find it, it makes interesting reading...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
shakky15 said:
Uni marks a fair bit harder than in school. You gain every mark and its unlikely that you will get 90+

Approx <5% get HDs
about 10% get D's

HSC
melsc said:
Uni marks a fair bit harder than in school. You gain every mark and its unlikely that you will get 90+

Approx <5% get HDs
about 10% get D's
Course dependent i'd assume? What's the easiest course in general to get such marks? The humanities subject as someone has said?

savio23q

Band
HSC
kevinx2 said:
Course dependent i'd assume? What's the easiest course in general to get such marks? The humanities subject as someone has said?
Difficulty is pretty subjective.

Jennt

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
It's only for the chiro students doing anatomy. The other students who do the subject have the normal >50 for pass.

The subject is fucking insane as well, I sat in on most lessons and saw the exam. Hoorah for memorising nerve branches! :-/
As a non-chiro student who is sitting the exam TOMORROW ie: Monday afternoon, I can tell you that the 60% pass across the subject requirement is for ALL students doing the subject... Not only that but this semester they only ran it as an external subject and to pass the subject you have to have:

- at least 50% combined mark for both prac exams
- at least 50% combined mark for both quizzes
- at least 50% pass mark for the final exam
- at least 60% overall to pass the subject

This subject has been driving me INSANE! The depth of knowledge required to get passes is far more than the unit outline stated. I'm an external student; working full-time and in comparison to my other subjects this has been unbelievable.

I actually got the top mark in the first quiz; know that I've passed both the quizzes and the prac exams - but am still not sure that my mark is going to be good enough to get a pass in this subject. I worked out that if I get 50% in tomorrow's exam I will pass the subject by .8% ie: I will have a final mark of 60.8%...

Having said that - my DNA subject exam on Friday was pretty easy if you'd paid attention to the lectures and revised the notes.

Ah well, I guess this may have given the OP an idea of what it's like - some subjects have different pass requirements, and I don't know a single subject that relies entirely on your final exam mark - you also have to get reasonable results for essays/assignments/mid-semester tests etc etc etc.

regards (and now I'm going to stop procrastinating and go back to memorising cranial nerves - Olfactory, Optic, Occulomotor............Hypoglossal and do you want to know the pathway of light through the eye??????)

X

xeuyrawp

Jennt said:
As a non-chiro student who is sitting the exam TOMORROW ie: Monday afternoon, I can tell you that the 60% pass across the subject requirement is for ALL students doing the subject...
I stand corrected!

Good luck with the exam, mate, I've got one of my own. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)