• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What should I drop? (1 Viewer)

KilltheCookie

HSC
Salutations,
I'm about to start year 12 with the following subjects:
3u math
English advanced
biology
business studies
3u Arabic (we started the extension course early)

That makes thirteen units and I want to drop either Arabic extension (one unit course) or business studies. I'm currently ranked first in business but I don't think that means too much since my school is extremely small and the standard is generally not very high. Our teacher for business studies also makes me want to kill myself.:angryfire:
In regards to Arabic extension we have a great teacher but there's a high chance I won't come first in that. Also, business scales better.

I AM SO TORN. I have no idea what to do and I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks in advance!

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
Well I can't speak for Business and Arabic, but the other subjects are really interesting :)
Is there any way you can wait till at least the first round of assessments before you make your decision? Because you can always drop a subject at any time this year, but you can't pick it back up later. So wait and see what you're doing worst in this year, as it may change from Prelim. As for your teacher, don't let him (her) get to you, I'm dealing with the same thing with my Physics teacher, but it's just one more year. Choose what helps you get the best possible ATAR with the least amount of stress and what will help you on your future education/career path.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I would drop Arabic, as you ranking first in Business Studies means that you are only limited by your ability in external HSC performance

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
drop what you perform worst in overall

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
drop what you perform worst in overall
This is important. Also, drop what you don't enjoy most, as you will most likely not study for it and it may not count for your ATAR in the end.
By the way, I think that is 12 units, not 13.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Drop the one you hate more (it is possible to be smashing a subject you hate, its a rarity, but it happens!). If that doesn't work, drop the one you are doing worse in. If you're still deliberating, draw up a table with the following factors:
- enjoyability
- potential to do well in
- positives
- negatives
- usefulness for future
You can also include stuff about the teacher, because that is quite important in determining whether or not you want to keep something.

If you are so torn, keep it until the first round of assessments and drop whatever you're doing worse in.

Good luck! :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
If you're still deliberating, draw up a table with the following factors:
- enjoyability
- potential to do well in
- positives
- negatives
- usefulness for future
I did that this time last year for choosing to drop Economics for senior science. Didn't matter in the end because you can't do Senior Science with both Physics and Chemistry. You must have 4 subjects to obtain an ATAR. This is why you can not do 4-unit English and 4-unit Maths together, unless you have 12 units or over, which can get a little silly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)