What subject should I drop?? (2 Viewers)

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Hi guys, I would appreciate some help regarding dropping subjects.

I recently did the HSC for two subjects as an accelerated student and got these results:
- Maths advanced - 98
- Engineering studies - 92

Currently, my subjects are:
- English advanced
- Maths Ext 1
- Maths Ext 2
- Physics
- Business studies
- SOR2

I am at 14 units including engineering.

I did well in physics (rank 2) and business (rank 3) in year 11, and I am thinking I should drop SOR2 completely as I didn't do as well as I would like in the assessment this term (17/20), and I don't enjoy it, and that would leave me at 12 units (including engineering which I'm not sure if I want it to count or not).

Also to consider is if I should drop ext 2 math as by doing ext 2, my mark of 98 in advanced wouldn't count, and ext 2 is taking up a lot of my time at the moment, which could be put towards other subjects. However, I am ranked 2/31 in ext 2 after task 1 but that exam was only worth 15% of my internals.

I am torn about whether I should drop from SOR2 to SOR1, drop SOR2 completely, or drop ext 2 math (or maybe drop both?). Any recommendations about what to do with SOR2 and ext 2 maths would be greatly appreciated.

MJRey

HSC
Your Advanced Maths result is excellent, and so is your Engineering one. It's also impressive that you're coming 2nd in ME2 at the moment, although keeping it is a massive gamble from my perspective because ME2 can be quite difficult as evidenced by this year's paper. Scaling could work in your favour, but at the same time you wouldn't want to be crushed by a mediocre result and then have your amazing Advanced Maths result shoved down the drain. If you don't enjoy SOR2, don't waste your time on it.

In my opinion, your best course of action would be to drop both ME2 and SOR2 because 14 units is A LOT of work. The way I see it, it's important to maintain a good balance of study across all of your subjects, and the majority of your subjects are quite demanding with the effort and work you have to put into them. You would end up with 11 units, which is what I had for the HSC. If you really wanted, 1 of your units of Engineering would count towards your ATAR, which is luckily what happened to me (but my result was average compared to yours).

Or, if you don't want to count Engineering at all (even though it's a great result), you could drop ME2, then just drop to SOR1 and try your hardest in that. And having 12 units to deal with would be better than 14, so that's a bonus. Whatever you do, do what you feel is right for you.

I really hope my advice helps in some way!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

I recently did the HSC for two subjects as an accelerated student and got these results:
- Maths advanced - 98

- English advanced
- Maths Ext 1
- Maths Ext 2
- Physics
- Business studies
- SOR2

I did well in physics (rank 2) and business (rank 3) in year 11, and I am thinking I should drop SOR2 completely as I didn't do as well as I would like in the assessment this term (17/20), and I don't enjoy it, and that would leave me at 12 units (including engineering which I'm not sure if I want it to count or not).

Also to consider is if I should drop ext 2 math as by doing ext 2, my mark of 98 in advanced wouldn't count, and ext 2 is taking up a lot of my time at the moment, which could be put towards other subjects. However, I am ranked 2/31 in ext 2 after task 1 but that exam was only worth 15% of my internals.

I am torn about whether I should drop from SOR2 to SOR1, drop SOR2 completely, or drop ext 2 math (or maybe drop both?). Any recommendations about what to do with SOR2 and ext 2 maths would be greatly appreciated.
Imo keep MX2 because it makes MX1 count as 2 units as well and MX1 is easier than advanced maths (I got 97 in advanced maths yr 11, then 99 MX1 97 MX2). It's worth as a subject and I was struggling hard with complex numbers and graphing at the start and decided to keep it and it worked out. Also MX1 and MX2 scale veryyy high. MX2 even has very high alignment to go with the scaling.

Back when I did it, MX2 had a topic called "Harder 3 unit" which literally made MX1 feel like a joke. The reason is because MX2 improves your problem solving skills so hard questions in MX1 become easy in comparison and it becomes a subject about silly mistakes.

nathanzhou1234

HSC

- Maths advanced - 98

- English advanced
- Maths Ext 1
- Maths Ext 2
- Physics
- Business studies
- SOR2

Personally I would recommend dropping SOR2 cos the OP scaling of MX2 will probably help MX2 count more towards your ATAR - I'm pretty sure an E3/4 in MX2 is equivalent to a high band 6 in Maths Advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)