what techniques are in this text (1 Viewer)

matt flyn

HSC
we need to find techniques and ideas...ive only got one lmao

I shook the young lady’s hand, and Billy's. I thanked them for the meal and took my leave. I walked back through the rich streets of town, the neat gardens, the high timber fences, the solid gates with the double garage behind them. I hadn't drunk too much, the wine was too good to ruin with drunkenness, and I'd listened to Billy and Caitlin talk and I'd noticed how they looked at each other - their quick, gentle smiles over the food - and the way they sat close, and I realised as I walked home that for a few hours I hadn't thought of anything but how pleasant it was to sit with these people and to talk with them. I walked home to my old carriage and thought of how to repay them for their simple gift, and I enjoyed the thinking.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The first-person narrative voice is seen throughout this text (through the use of "I"). This, combined with the informal language register (e.g. through the use of contractions like "I'd") establishes a relationship with the reader, allowing the author to share a personal story directly with the reader.

Descriptive language (e.g. in "the neat gardens, the high timber fences, the solid gates with the double garage behind them.") is used to provide further detail as to the particular events of the story, allowing to not only strengthen the relationship that is established between the character(s) and the reader, but also allows the reader to reflect upon the events and form an image/idea of what such events may have been like.

Symbolism seems like another technique present in this text, particularly with the use of "simple gift" because thinking of "how to repay them" indicates that the simple gift is not actually simple and might symbolic of a more complex idea.

I hope this helps! 😄

Last edited:

kkk579

hello
HSC

I shook the young lady’s hand, and Billy's. I thanked them for the meal and took my leave. I walked back through the rich streets of town, the neat gardens, the high timber fences, the solid gates with the double garage behind them. I hadn't drunk too much, the wine was too good to ruin with drunkenness, and I'd listened to Billy and Caitlin talk and I'd noticed how they looked at each other - their quick, gentle smiles over the food - and the way they sat close, and I realised as I walked home that for a few hours I hadn't thought of anything but how pleasant it was to sit with these people and to talk with them. I walked home to my old carriage and thought of how to repay them for their simple gift, and I enjoyed the thinking.
amplification in “their quick gentle smiles”

icycledough

HSC

I'll also add, like the techniques jimmysmith added, note that they aren't very 'fancy' or 'complicated' techniques. I think too many people get stuck up on trying to identify too many fancy techniques, when in reality, the most marks come from your analysis of the techniques and ideas you present. Unless they add something extra, it's often good to stick to what you know but make sure you can explain it in detail using a proper structure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)