What the heck happened?! (1 Viewer)

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Yeah I looked at all pages and also put it in alphabetical order. It's a relatively new school so that could explain why.
That probably means your school didn't receive any b6s, meaning it's unranked.

HSC
Yeah I looked at all pages and also put it in alphabetical order. It's a relatively new school so that could explain why.
New school or not, it should be there. Your assessment mark isn't based on your actual marks. The number is based on your ranking and your school ranking. Your school is probably ranked low.

Michael01

HSC
N/A
I think recklessricks answer would explain it. In my time at the school my cohort was easily the most study minded. The majority of us were focused on getting good atars whereas in previous years I know that there was a large portion of students that weren't eligible for atars. This year the teachers told us stories about past students who wouldn't bother to show up on exam day.

Michael01

HSC
N/A
I know it's not the teachers that were the problem it is just the mindset that prevails in this area.

HSC
Since you were ranked first in some subs and your externals were the highest out of the cohort, your assessment and examination mark were identical (as seen in the pic).

However being ranked not first in the some subs means you keep your examination mark but your assessment mark will be calculated by BOSTES so it was up to the highest and lowest mark your cohort achieved in hsc.

I guess it happened because of your performance external exams, not really internal results

Michael01

HSC
N/A
Since you were ranked first in some subs and your externals were the highest out of the cohort, your assessment and examination mark were identical (as seen in the pic).

However being ranked not first in the some subs means you keep your examination mark but your assessment mark will be calculated by BOSTES so it was up to the highest and lowest mark your cohort achieved in hsc.

I guess it happened because of your performance external exams, not really internal results
Aww damn. Was really hoping it was a mistake of some sort but eh... I guess I'll have to live with it. I've been doing a lot of research and looking into other pathways anyway and I've found a number of ways that will enable me to get into biomedical or medical science.

So to finish this off, tif you're rank 1 they ignore your school assessment mark and replace it with your examination mark if you achieve the highest mark in the exam?

D94

HSC
N/A
So to finish this off, tif you're rank 1 they ignore your school assessment mark and replace it with your examination mark if you achieve the highest mark in the exam?
No, they adjust it to the highest exam mark of anyone in the cohort. It just so happens that you achieved the highest exam mark, hence why the marks are the same.

The harsh reality is that you are simply not as good as you were led to believe. Your school assessments were not of HSC standard and your school marked inappropriately. You weren't given any real perspective on how far behind the state you were in terms of quality of responses and how you approach questions. Unfortunately this is now reflected in your marks.

HSC
Aww damn. Was really hoping it was a mistake of some sort but eh... I guess I'll have to live with it. I've been doing a lot of research and looking into other pathways anyway and I've found a number of ways that will enable me to get into biomedical or medical science.

Almost correct. Rank 1 will automatically be given the highest mark achieved in the externals for their assessment mark and I think that was you. The only thing they get from internals is the rank order of the students and their percentage difference.

It's good to understand the reasoning behind your marks so good on you for asking. And yep, of course you will find a way into your course soon enough. I've heard so many success stories throughout my hsc year so highly possible

Michael01

HSC
N/A
Almost correct. Rank 1 will automatically be given the highest mark achieved in the externals for their assessment mark and I think that was you. The only thing they get from internals is the rank order of the students and their percentage difference.

It's good to understand the reasoning behind your marks so good on you for asking. And yep, of course you will find a way into your course soon enough. I've heard so many success stories throughout my hsc year so highly possible
The percentage mark between me and rank 2 was 17% so why did we end up so close if we were all led to believe that we were much better than we actually were. Shouldn't there marks too be a significant distance behind mine considering how far the gap between us is? But instead there marks are largely the same.

HSC
The percentage mark between me and rank 2 was 17% so why did we end up so close if we were all led to believe that we were much better than we actually were. Shouldn't there marks too be a significant distance behind mine considering how far the gap between us is? But instead there marks are largely the same.
Oh ok. Then your cohort probably performed in close range to each other. Like BOSTES gets the highest external marks and lowest external marks as a range then inserts in the percentage differences. So I guess that's why the differences are smaller.

E.g. a range with 90---------->70 will have less percentage difference than a range of 95------------------------------->40
I'm not an expert on this, just heard from teachers and ex-students so hopefully I'm explaining this right

Michael01

HSC
N/A
Ahhhhh yep I guess that would explain it hahaha Thankyou for your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)