What tutoring college should my cousin go to? (1 Viewer)

louis177

HSC
Hi, I am not very familiar with the coaching college world but I was wondering if I could get some advice. My cousin is going into year 11 and doing 3 unit maths and I want to know if there's anywhere decent he can go to revise and consolidate gaps in his knowledge. I think he doesn't do enough practice and just requires a supportive environment where he can do lots of questions and drill for a few hours. Practice exams being simulated at the centre would be an added bonus. He lives in Kensington, so somewhere nearby is good. Does anyone know any coaching centre which offers something like this? In my mind it wouldn't be one-on-one tutoring, but rather he would be set questions in a structured, targeted way by someone and every so often would have his progress checked and assistance could be offered. In particular is there any place which is running such a program in these holidays? He wants to be able to get ahead before school recommences.
Thanks!

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I don't go to matrix for maths specifically but from the material they provide and their experienced teachers, I'd say it's a decent bet to try there. They have a variety of questions set for homework and you can generally ask teachers for help all the time. They also have 1 on 1 workshops from time to time that he can join if he needs help consolidating any knowledge by teachers.
I attended Matrix for Extension 1 maths for a trial then dropped as part of their money back guarantee thing (I do attend for Chemistry though), but what can be taken away from that is that while their resources are very good and their teachers fairly good as well, I had a few reasons for dropping including they are kinda pricey (amount per hour is twice as much as the maths tutoring I now attend -- was going to drop that tutoring for Matrix but then after dropping I decided to continue with my old one), and the lessons for maths are 3 hours long. 3 hours for me personally felt too long and I couldn't focus even after the break, but of course that is subjective. On the good side, Matrix is very good for revision and consolidating gaps in knowledge, which is what your cousin is looking for and there is a Sydney City campus, so if your cousin thinks he'll be fine there, it's worth giving Matrix a shot, especially since they do have that policy where if you don't like their first lesson, they will refund your payment for the term.

(Also not super related to the topic at hand but Matrix also do have an enrolment fee of $55 you need to pay before you join -- which was surprising for me because none of my prior tutoring centres had one, but if you have a refer a friend link or something like that from a friend who already attends Matrix, you won't need to pay it if you use it, and the person who referred you will get course credit, I believe.)

davidsha

HSC
I attended Matrix for Extension 1 maths for a trial then dropped as part of their money back guarantee thing (I do attend for Chemistry though), but what can be taken away from that is that while their resources are very good and their teachers fairly good as well, I had a few reasons for dropping including they are kinda pricey (amount per hour is twice as much as the maths tutoring I now attend -- was going to drop that tutoring for Matrix but then after dropping I decided to continue with my old one), and the lessons for maths are 3 hours long. 3 hours for me personally felt too long and I couldn't focus even after the break, but of course that is subjective. On the good side, Matrix is very good for revision and consolidating gaps in knowledge, which is what your cousin is looking for and there is a Sydney City campus, so if your cousin thinks he'll be fine there, it's worth giving Matrix a shot, especially since they do have that policy where if you don't like their first lesson, they will refund your payment for the term.

(Also not super related to the topic at hand but Matrix also do have an enrolment fee of $55 you need to pay before you join -- which was surprising for me because none of my prior tutoring centres had one, but if you have a refer a friend link or something like that from a friend who already attends Matrix, you won't need to pay it if you use it, and the person who referred you will get course credit, I believe.)
Where’s Do u go for tutoring now

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Where’s Do u go for tutoring now
For Mathematics, I went back to NGO (technically I never left, I was going to swap completely if I liked Matrix better), and honestly I don't regret it because I really enjoy learning in NGO kinda lol. For Chemistry, I attend the course for Matrix on Demand. I love the prerecorded lessons, the teachers on the lessons are great and explain things in a very straightforward and easy to understand way. (Edit: Plus the theory books for Chemistry are very good.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)