• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What's a good opening for eco. essays? (1 Viewer)

rsingh

HSC
Hey guys,

I think its better if we open our essays with some sort of statement, rather than just start defining the key terms in the questions.
Problem is, I can't think of any! haha.

So if anyone is doing this, any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.

HSC
i think defining is the way to go and that is what all the top answers have if you look at last year's high range ones.

ar5ena1

HSC
depends on the topic, but try and have a statement thats relates the topic i.e. a definition or just a general introduction to the question with at least one present current issue in the economic in your first paragraph, you do that, you're on your way to b6.

jmac101

we have always been taught that to start of an eccos essay we should start with an 'overt answer'

that is we immediately answer the question. unlike english essays or whatever in which u briefly outline what ull talk about, in ecos you have to specifically answer.

this is important because it immediately provides structure to your essay and if you run out of time at least you have something of everything

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
jmac101 said:
we have always been taught that to start of an eccos essay we should start with an 'overt answer'

that is we immediately answer the question. unlike english essays or whatever in which u briefly outline what ull talk about, in ecos you have to specifically answer.

this is important because it immediately provides structure to your essay and if you run out of time at least you have something of everything
well i would agree with that in any subject, English included. The question is your ultimate piece of stimulus information, you are being marked against a set of outcomes based on the question. Do not fall into the trap of writing a generic, stereotypical reponse that you have prepared. You will not be awarded ample marks for showing the marker that you know stuff, most students that do economics (and any subject for that matter) know their content. It's the manipulation of the question and the degree to which it is answered that are awarded the higher marks. Defining the terms in the question is advised in the first paragraph, the opening line should give an overt or up front answer and your reponse should justify your verdict.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
rephrase the question? that's a god damned waste of time. don't bother, trust me.

defining the important words in the question goes down well. also, make your stance clear.
then it's down to using graphs, evaluating certain points of view and synthesising your response. it's pretty straight forward and will vary from question to question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)