whats law like? (1 Viewer)

timmii

sporadic attendee
I've only done 1 semester. It was legal institutions so it was more like a social studies lets-discuss-everything kind of class which was lots of fun :D The assessments were rather shocking though imho. Other than that i loved it :D Torts this semester will be a bit more of a test of how "fun" it is :p

What in particular did you want to know about?

timmii

sporadic attendee
Hey, for some of us, the grammar boys is what makes it fun! :p ;) :D

Nah its really interesting - which is why i wanted to do law, so currently very pleased with the decision. :D

kini mini

HSC
]Originally posted by timmii
USyd girls have such refined and truly excellent taste :p :D.

Originally posted by timmii
I've only done 1 semester. It was legal institutions so it was more like a social studies lets-discuss-everything kind of class which was lots of fun :D The assessments were rather shocking though imho. Other than that i loved it :D Torts this semester will be a bit more of a test of how "fun" it is :p
I thought our assessments were alright, UNSW law went for the "big bang" style assessment with two huge ones rather than USyd's more continuous assessment with several assignments. I thought first semester was great, and I think torts will be alright oo, it's contracts next year that I think are going to kill me :p.

Basically, law is fun if you want a good mental challenge and have an excellent command of English. A high boredom tolerance also helps for interpreting legislation.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by Asquithian
pfft u like grammar boys....pfft...u want some home cookin type wholesome public school boy like me! someone that can change the tyres and oil and give u back massages

ill shuttup now...
I'm gonna tell Dazed u're touting your "wares" elsewhere :p

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
whats the workload like, together with ur other course?
eg. how many hrs (lectures, classes) per week
how many hrs sleep?
easier than hsc year?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
whats the workload like, together with ur other course?
eg. how many hrs (lectures, classes) per week
how many hrs sleep?
easier than hsc year?
UNSW:

4 hours a week, 2 2 hour seminars. You cannot hop between seminars because you're assessed on class participation, you can be in a Mon/Wed group or Tu/Thu group. There are 6 consecutive 1 hour classes for legal research some time in the first semester.

I do commerce/law, I have no problems sleeping as much as I like every night, there's much less work than in the HSC as far as I'm concerned :).

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
4hrs - is that just for law?
It's generally two hours per three credit points; in first-year you only take a single law subject per semester (6cp), hence the four hours of law each week. Doubles for second- and third-year, and then doubles again for fourth- and fifth-year (when law is all you're doing, heh).

timmii

sporadic attendee
Pigs: The hours depend on your other degree as well. Science/law friends have 24+ hrs, arts/law friends have about 14 and i have 17-18 and I do comm/law. Less work than hsc, but i'm finding it "harder" because i was used to being spoonfed, and well some of the maths stuff is pretty hard to follow when its quickly rattled off in lectures (whilst i'm uh, not really listening) rather than being carefully (albeit tediously) explained over and over in class... The law is a considerable quantity of reading, but you learn how much you can get away with not doing - and so far its been pretty interesting material anway :D All in all, much more fun than school though, so dont worry bout hours etc, you'll adjust :D

Asq: Your nice guy image is looking slightly tarnished - you may instead earn the dubious rep of boards "player" ;) :p

kini mini

HSC
Pigs: The hours depend on your other degree as well. Science/law friends have 24+ hrs, arts/law friends have about 14 and i have 17-18 and I do comm/law.
More like 15 or so for me.

Less work than hsc, but i'm finding it "harder" because i was used to being spoonfed
Spoon-feeding doesn't suit me, so I like that aspect :p.

, and well some of the maths stuff is pretty hard to follow when its quickly rattled off in lectures (whilst i'm uh, not really listening) rather than being carefully (albeit tediously) explained over and over in class...
I skipped almost all of the commerce maths lectures after 5 weeks. They weren't too useful, for me anyway.

Asq: Your nice guy image is looking slightly tarnished - you may instead earn the dubious rep of boards "player" ;) :p
On your third "marriage" now Asq? :p

funkychickie

yeh just like what courses r u doin? wat uais did u guys get for law??? cause im finding that hard to handle the whole freakin 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999 thnigo but anyways ill get over it...

funkychickie

Nah its really interesting - which is why i wanted to do law, so currently very pleased with the decision. :D
heheh yeh it is when u go to study days!!! they r heaps good. mind u the lack of boys on the central coast might/might not have something to do with that!!!!

is a roflcopter
HSC
grammar boys........bleh :p
public school is where its at :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)