Whats this dotpoint(?) mean? (1 Viewer)

efini4eva

Gather information from secondary sources to compare conservation and restoration techniques applied in the Australian maritime archaological projects.

It was below catchment research dotpoint. ie catchment area, contamination, chemical test, physical chemical, additives....

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
efini4eva said:
It was below catchment research dotpoint. ie catchment area, contamination, chemical test, physical chemical, additives....
Are you talking about the purification process of water and the possible factors that affect catchment contamination? I'm assuming you are, and if you are not, then read the following anyway. :p

FACTORS WHICH AFFECT CONTAMINATION OF CATCHMENTS
  • Mining
  • Agricultural wastes
  • Forestry
  • Industrial wastes
  • Sewage treatments

PHYSICAL PROCESSES OF WATER PURIFICATION
  • Screening - using a sieve-like device to remove large solid objects such as fish, weeds, and twigs
  • Sedimentation - Allowing flocs to settle to the bottom of the tank where they form a sludge, which can be removed for other industrial and agricultural uses
  • Filtration - water is passed through sand banks, gravel and/or charcoal to remove small suspended particles and colour

CHEMICAL PROCESSES OF WATER PURIFICATION
  • Aeration - water is sprayed into the air in order to provide more surface area for dissolving atmospheric oxygen, which ionises - hence removes - iron salt compounds (iron compounds make the water yellow and gives it a metallic taste)
  • Flocculation - compounds such as iron (III) chloride (FeCl3) or aluminium sulphate (Al2SO4) are added to the water to cause small suspended solid particles to come together and form larger particles called flocs - they are easier to filter out
  • Chlorination - chlorine and various hypochlorites are added to disinfect the water by killing micro-organisms such as E. coli
  • pH Adjustment - buffers such as carbonates and hydroxides are added to achieve the desired pH (7-8.5)
  • Fluoridation - fluoride is added to raise the fluorine level of water to 1 ppm, at this level, the water may prevent tooth decay

CHEMICALS ADDED TO WATER AND REASONS
  • Flocculants - such as iron (III) chloride (FeCl3) or aluminium sulphate (Al2SO4), which cause small suspended particles to come together and form flocs, which are easier to filter out
  • Chlorine and various hypochlorites - to kill micro-organisms such as E. coli and disinfect the water
  • Ammonia - to produce chloramines which maintaints the disinfecting ability of chlorine
  • Fluoride - to raise the level of fluorine in water to 1 ppm in order to give the water the ability to prevent tooth decay
  • Buffering chemicals - such as carbonates and hydroxides which achieve the desired pH for water (7-8.5)

Hope it helped. :)

Last edited:

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
efini4eva said:
Gather information from secondary sources to compare conservation and restoration techniques applied in the Australian maritime archaological projects.

Surely this is in Shipwrecks, conservation and salvage and not in CMM.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
thunderdax said:
Surely this is in Shipwrecks, conservation and salvage and not in CMM.
That's what I thought of the first part, but the second is definitely the purification of water.

Oh well, I'm doing forensics. Just so people know, when I have forensics-trouble, come help me. :eek:

wanton-wonton

HSC
efini4eva said:

You are an absolute dickhead, trying to make people worried about whether they missed out on a dot-point.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
You are an absolute dickhead, trying to make people worried about whether they missed out on a dot-point.
Oh how I love your posts - there's always an insult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)