• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What's your work's link to English (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Im curious about the nature of this link, as in how vague / strong or specific it needs to be. Personally I cant really establish a link yet, but I was wondering if it was orite if I just went ahead and write about anything, then come back and worry about the link...

Could ppl post wot link they used / plan to use for their works so I can get a fair idea of what the link should be.. thx

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
You don't need to know now what you will link it to the Adv or 3 unit course. I am having troubles with that also, but my teacher said to write your major work first, and then when you're writing your reflection statement to worry about the links. But over the next few months, start to have a fair idea of how it can link. I was told it isn't all that hard to do.

I am writing a crit essay on Sophocles and his Oedipus trilogy. In Antigone, the main character by the same name is the individual in her society and thus it is linked to my 3 unit course. The Oedipus Trilogy is a journey, which can be linked to my 2 unit course.

My links are not specific, but they are getting there, and I know I will have help from my teachers to worry about that when the time comes. It's quite easy to link a crit essay with your english courses, but I'm guessing it would be hard to link it to a short story.

*shrugs*

Hope that helped.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
well mine sort of looks at texts in society, so that links to 3u (The module), and texts and contexts (Emma/clueless)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The link will usually manifest itself within your writing, trust me what you study will definitely influence what you will right.
And this applies not only for English and its extension units but also other subjects.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Mine links to the preliminary course- different worlds and different perspectives and the hsc extension 1 course, postmodernism ?:D
im so proud of myself

KarmaKitten

HSC
Yes you can
Just look at the reflection statements in the youngwriters showcase, you can
either way, it relates to two things for me, so im safe

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
mine is:

i studied frankenstein for the prelim extension course, where i chose to mostly focus on the moral aspects, and in particular, the nature of good and evil and used 5-6 eps of buffy as one of my supplementary texts.

and now i'm doing a critical study of how morality is represented through buffy blah blah.

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
*grins
Journeys for Adv and Speculative fiction for Ext1....what could broader????
The link doesnt have to be very strong does it? i mean, for my proposal, i only needed a line she said, something that shows there is a link. But anyway, we're doing journeys for adv arent we? im sure there is SOME linkage there.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
I don't think the link has to be concrete strong, just evident enough to show that the 2 and 3 unit courses have helped you. The BOS like to know that each english (or maths) courses help the higher levels.

*shrugs*

olay

HSC
ermm ... i was never told we had to link it to either adv or ext I eng?????????? O_O is this a must???

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
I don't think the link has to be concrete strong, just evident enough to show that the 2 and 3 unit courses have helped you. The BOS like to know that each english (or maths) courses help the higher levels.

*shrugs*
haha we all know thats bull
unlike math, its so possible to succeed in ee1 and 2 without even doing adv.

aud

HSC
:D But with Maths, you have to do it in conjunction with ME1 :D

Ahh... if only stupid BOS would count my 2U Maths mark as well - then that'd bring me up, and if only we didn't have to do 2U English...

But it's usually pretty easy to link anything to journeys, even if you link it to the journey of composing your actual MW... I'm linking mine to Revenge Tragedy - the whole good versus bad theory - which, btw, I now have 4 (yes 4~!) methodologies~! - and in particular Medea, the whole, she's a witch, therefore she's evil theme

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by olay
ermm ... i was never told we had to link it to either adv or ext I eng?????????? O_O is this a must???

This is MORE than a "must". This is do-or-die. You must link your major work to something in the adv. or ext1 course in your reflection statment, which goes to the markers, which contributes to your mark.

So, YES, you must be able to link.

cleopatra

Cleopatra
"Dear God; make me a bird, so i can fly far, far a
HSC
My links are....With journey Adv, and crime fiction EE1. cos thats basically wot mine is...a journey of a criminal. i guess to ignore all the other complicated shit like delusions, split/numerous personalities, realities and timeframes, court cases, cars and personas attached and everythin else!!!

olay

HSC
:O oh god do or die???????????????? :( i'm too young to die. :| buggar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)