• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

When should you start to memorise quotes??? (1 Viewer)

5uckerberg

HSC
A typical strategy is to think of collecting shells from the beach. At what point can you not hold your shells properly with the resources you have and your ability to hold them for a long period of time. It is at this point that you should just leave with what you have and make use of what you got. I will leave the comparison to memorising quotes to the OP.
OP=Original Poster

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
This is some stuff that helped me with my Prelims assessment which was an essay in class.

In reference to English, I suppose when you're ready to start doing practice essays/drafts, so when you've thoroughly went through your Mod A texts and you have an in depth understanding of the themes, contexts, characters, purpose etc.., by that time you'll naturally know most of the quotes you need to since you would've went through the texts quite a bit.

extra:

If you still can't remember a quote, I would just try using flashcards or something similar to the sort. Its better to memorise more shorter quotes that work well without requiring much context, you can remove unnecessary lines to get to the point through ... e.g Richard III's opening solilioquoy" since I cannot prove a lover... I am determined to prove a villain".

My quotes aren't that long anyways so its not too hard to remember, its easy to remember them by thinking of the scene. So e.g for that quote I listed, I would try to remember the opening soliloquy from a stage play and think how Richard felt at the time., where was he... then it becomes more easy. Not sure if I formulated that right but that's how I remember most of my quotes.

5uckerberg

HSC
This is some stuff that helped me with my Prelims assessment which was an essay in class.

In reference to English, I suppose when you're ready to start doing practice essays/drafts, so when you've thoroughly went through your Mod A texts and you have an in depth understanding of the themes, contexts, characters, purpose etc.., by that time you'll naturally know most of the quotes you need to since you would've went through the texts quite a bit.

If you still can't remember a quote, I would just try using flashcards or something similar to the sort. Its better to memorise more shorter quotes that work well without requiring much context, you can remove unnecessary lines to get to the point through ... e.g Richard III's opening solilioquoy" since I cannot prove a lover... I am determined to prove a villain".

My quotes aren't that long anyways so its not too hard to remember, its easy to remember them by thinking of the scene. So e.g for that quote I listed, I would try to remember the opening soliloquy from a stage play and think how Richard felt at the time., where was he... then it becomes more easy. Not sure if I formulated that right but that's how I remember most of my quotes.
This is simply the idea of less is more. As shorter quotes can allow you to come up with many ways to express it since they are open to interpretation and also very easy to memorise. Longer quotes can become a headache to remember when you think about them. All of this has to do with your cognitive load.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)