Where do I tell that I got my Australia citizenship ? (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
I'm going to sit my test on Friday and I'm gonna ask the person there whether I can attend a quick ceremony to apply for HECS.

But if I get the citizenship, who do I tell ? Do I change something online or do I have to call UNSW ?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Call them. They'll direct you and tell you what to do.

jamesfirst

HSC
Would they ever give HECS if I don't have my citizenship yet but I've passed my exam? What if my ceremony is like a few weeks after the census date ?

HSC
My boyfriend did the citizenship hoopla last year for HECS. The exam is only part of the process, which is to say makes you eligible to go to the citizenship ceremony. You're not a full citizen at this point. You are not officially deemed a citizen until you attend the ceremony, say the pledge (you seriously have to do this or you don't get the certificate) and receive the certificate - they are VERY anal about this, and I think you can only forego the ceremony under exceptional circumstances. You also can't just ask for a ceremony to be done just for you. They'll try and slot you in to your local council (as they're the ones that run the ceremonies) and some do it only once or twice a year :/ Some council chambers, like Kogarah council, only allow council residents to take part in the citizenship ceremony there. So make sure that if you do find a ceremony that you can actually attend it. If the ceremony is a few weeks after census date, you're out of luck, it won't count :(

When you get your citizenship ceremony all done you should contact UNSW and get them to change it, and probably best to do that in person. You've got until the end of March, so hopefully you can slot into a ceremony somewhere.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
they are VERY anal about this, and I think you can only forego the ceremony under exceptional circumstances.
Yep. It is a requirement of the Citizenship Act. They can't bend it.

You'll have until March 31 to finalise HECS arrangements. If you aren't a citizen then you'll miss out on HECS for first semester. You will have to wait until second semester.

HSC
If you can't get your citizenship in time, think about deferring until second semester, but I am not sure if it's too late at this point?
Otherwise, depending on which course it is you're doing, you could be paying up to $5000 for just this semester :(

Make sure to check this page to see how much first semester would end up costing if you have to pay the student contribution upfront
http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~nss/feest/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)