Which to choose? (1 Viewer)

jakee182

HSC
Hi everyone, first time posting on the forum ;)

I'm in need of some advice on determining which course to go ahead with. I've been accepted into a Bachelor of Business/Commerce at UWS and a Bachelor of Psychology/Commerce at UOW in the late round (Psych's more a personal interest so I may end up changing to Commerce on Enrolment day with some Psych electives), however the travel difference between the two is about 10 minutes to UWS as opposed to UOW about 45 minutes away.

UOW seems more appealing due to the better social life, the campus is amazing & i've got friends from both UNI's who all hold UOW in a higher regard, however the travel 3 days a week will be a bit of a hike. My concern as well is when I go for a graduate program and further employment later in life & say it comes down to a UWS graduate & a UOW graduate would the whole 'reputation' thing people talk about actually be a factor, or is it pointless to travel over an hour extra a day for what's basically the same degree except the different lecturers/units? What would anyone else choose between the two?

Any feedback would be muchly appreciated, especially anyone who's studied at either University & could provide an insight to which has the superior Business faculty :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You think a 45 minute commute is bad? I have to travel double that to get to UNSW.

Also I think UoW > UWS in terms of prestige anyway... I may be corrected on that - but I would personally, given that choice, go to UoW. Beach there. Nice-ish place. Great fish and chips shop near the beach near the Novotel Hotel.

Just maximise your marks, have great extracurriculars or an internship, and nullify any prestige whatnot.

jakee182

HSC
You think a 45 minute commute is bad? I have to travel double that to get to UNSW.

Also I think UoW > UWS in terms of prestige anyway... I may be corrected on that - but I would personally, given that choice, go to UoW. Beach there. Nice-ish place. Great fish and chips shop near the beach near the Novotel Hotel.

Just maximise your marks, have great extracurriculars or an internship, and nullify any prestige whatnot.
Haha yeah I guess 45 minutes isn't to bad hey :haha: cheers for that mate.

My travel to high school took me an hour or sometimes an hour and a half and although I can see the appeal of taking shorter trips, you will ultimately grow accustomed to travelling to UOW if it ends up being your choice. 45 minutes isn't too bad and you can always use up that time by reading textbooks, relaxing for a while or studying lightly. It seems you have listed a lot more pros to UOW rather than UWS so it would seem like UOW is a better choice.
Yeah I thought that aswell, I'd be more likely to do the work on the way there than I would at home with the Xbox, Foxtel and everything else at my disposal. Thankyou, I think UOW's the way to go :)

Last edited:

williamdaft

HSC
Hi everyone, first time posting on the forum ;)

I'm in need of some advice on determining which course to go ahead with. I've been accepted into a Bachelor of Business/Commerce at UWS and a Bachelor of Psychology/Commerce at UOW in the late round (Psych's more a personal interest so I may end up changing to Commerce on Enrolment day with some Psych electives), however the travel difference between the two is about 10 minutes to UWS as opposed to UOW about 45 minutes away.

UOW seems more appealing due to the better social life, the campus is amazing & i've got friends from both UNI's who all hold UOW in a higher regard, however the travel 3 days a week will be a bit of a hike. My concern as well is when I go for a graduate program and further employment later in life & say it comes down to a UWS graduate & a UOW graduate would the whole 'reputation' thing people talk about actually be a factor, or is it pointless to travel over an hour extra a day for what's basically the same degree except the different lecturers/units? What would anyone else choose between the two?

Any feedback would be muchly appreciated, especially anyone who's studied at either University & could provide an insight to which has the superior Business faculty :)
Deffs UOW mate.

Also, 45 minutes is nothing.. I have to travel 1.5~2 hrs for UNSW. And distance is worth it when it comes to reputation, campus, social life etc.

:)

enoilgam

HSC
I dont really think there is much of a prestige gap between UoW and UWS - employers would have a lot more ways of distinguishing two applicants from those unis. Dont underestimate the travel time though - before I started uni, I paid no attention to this at all. But when I got to uni, I definitely appreciated the fact that it was close. I had considered going to MQ at one point, but I'm glad I didnt and the extra travel is one of those reasons.

Dont get me wrong, it shouldnt be a primary reason, but it should at least be a factor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)