• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

which would you prefer, board notes/dictating? (3 Viewers)

Which is better?

• Board notes

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Dictating

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
HSC
Board notes.
That way you can actually go back if you misunderstood something without disrupting everyone else.
And you can write something you'll actually understand, instead of shorthand/scribble.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I prefer board notes if they're concise and fits in with everything else learnt so far. I find that dictating is abit better when you're exposed to a new concept though - atleast if the teacher is good at explaining it.

selablad

HSC
I don't like taking down notes at all...I prefer it when the teacher has notes which we can access some other way (eg intranet at school, printouts) which we then discuss as a class...I'm lucky in that none of my subjects really lend themselves to copying notes, so I'm happy :)

PS - my vote was for board notes in the poll, for reasons others have said

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Board notes seriously piss me off.

A class discussion is the best as it encourages everyone in the room to participate and if they aren't a good teacher will point them out, embarrasment leading to them actually listening.

Makes the teacher alot easier to approach and you can ask questions rather then copying stuff down then later tonight wondering what the hell he was on about.

Talk > Notes > Textbook > Notes > Study guides > Past Exams
('>' indicating chronological progression.)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Rebekkie said:
I like dictation (having a summer heights high moment here lol) coz i use a laptop in my more note intensive classes so it's easy for me to keep up with the teacher. Also it gives ample opportunity to be smug when when someone asks the teacher to repeat something and he can't remember so phrases completely differently, messing up their poor, scribbled, handwritten notes.
Just put the mic on and use your webcam to print screen whatever he wrote on the board like i do :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I don't mind both, but I'd prefer board notes.

HSC
Studentleader said:
Board notes seriously piss me off.

A class discussion is the best as it encourages everyone in the room to participate and if they aren't a good teacher will point them out, embarrasment leading to them actually listening.
Wouldn't most teachers actually discuss what they have written on the board ?
I know mine do.

selablad

HSC
Mine discuss what they have up (usually slideshows/OHTs though) but they don't expect us to copy it down anyway. If you are writing stuff down then you are wasting time in class that should be used for discussion.

Rephrase: when you're in class, you should mostly be doing activities that can be done in groups - discussions, experiments, etc, depending on the subject obviously. There is time enough for taking notes when you're at home and working by yourself, and there is a lot to be said for making your own notes anyway...:)

HSC
An example of what I meant is my business studies teacher:
When working through a topic, she will write a dot point on the board, then she will go through the point; asking questions and discussing it with us, whilst writing brief notes.
We are still expected to write our own (more succinct) notes in our own time.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
I think it depends on the subject.
Like my bio teacher dictates and its really bad because she goes way too fast and you dont know how to spell all the crazy biological words. But in subjects like english, board notes would be stupid, because it's really up to the student to determine what is relevant/not relevant.

selablad

HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
An example of what I meant is my business studies teacher:
When working through a topic, she will write a dot point on the board, then she will go through the point; asking questions and discussing it with us, whilst writing brief notes.
We are still expected to write our own (more succinct) notes in our own time.
Sorry, misunderstanding :rolleyes: That's what I meant as well. I was more referring to teachers I've had in the past, who fill up the whiteboard with notes, and so we just sit for a whole lesson silently copying down notes :angry:

michael1990

HSC
Had this discussion with economics class and teacher.

We all prefer board notes.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
i would rather the teacher just stood there and talked. and used the board when presenting diagrams, etc.

copying notes straight fom the board, or dictation is a waste of time. unfortunately this is what most students waste there time doing. a better approach would be to photocopy it and hand it out, rather than just write.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Teacher dictates then summarises on board.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Board notes, because my writing isn't going to be all over the place and it's going to be legible.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
dictation is best left for primary school tests, guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)