• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why does the LIATE rule not work here? (1 Viewer)

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
1653822728377.png
I rely on the LIATE and realised it does not work here? Can someone clarify....

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
View attachment 35690
I rely on the LIATE and realised it does not work here? Can someone clarify....
I'm not sure how the LIATE rule doesn't work? You can choose to integrate exponential first then trig or alternately

I don't really go off LIATE since integrating the exp. here feels a bit messy dealing with fractions and I'd rather just deal with whole numbers. You'll get the same thing. Personally I'd say use LIATE as a guide but don't be bounded by it, use your own intuition to foresee which one's going to be more convenient to go through with IBP, it helps reduce algebraic errors.

Last edited:

yanujw

HSC
LIATE is the order for the functions that are best to integrate. cosx is a Trig function therefore is better to integrate, while e^2x is Exponential so better to differentiate.

ekjchale#1

HSC
LIATE is the order for the functions that are best to integrate. cosx is a Trig function therefore is better to integrate, while e^2x is Exponential so better to differentiate.
is it possible for u to recall the full form of liate as ive forgotten

yanujw

HSC
is it possible for u to recall the full form of liate as ive forgotten
Personally I remember the order DETAIL which is a similar concept

Differentiate to the following priority;
Exponentials
Trig functions
Algebra (polynomials)
Inverse Trig functions
Logarithms

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
I'm not sure how the LIATE rule doesn't work? You can choose to integrate exponential first then trig or alternately

I don't really go off LIATE since integrating the exp. here feels a bit messy dealing with fractions and I'd rather just deal with whole numbers. You'll get the same thing. Personally I'd say use LIATE as a guide but don't be bounded by it, use your own intuition to foresee which one's going to be more convenient to go through with IBP, it helps reduce algebraic errors.
ye fair it does work - the worked sols seemed rigged as they let u = cos instead.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)