Why is PVC water resistant? (1 Viewer)

Raindrop78

HSC
Do we have to explain the property in terms of structure/polymerisation process when linking to uses in the syllabus point: Describe the uses of polymers made from the above monomers in terms of their properties

same1111

HSC
N/A
Do we have to explain the property in terms of structure/polymerisation process when linking to uses in the syllabus point: Describe the uses of polymers made from the above monomers in terms of their properties
If i was to answer that question i would say, " PVC is waterproof due to the lack of OH groups so it doesn't hydrogen bond. This has allowed it to be used in pipes." As you can see its mostly just relating the property to the use with reference to structure. I don't think the polymerisation process itself has to be mentioned for PVC or PS. However if it asked about high/low density polyethylene then i would mention the Ziegler-Natta or the High pressure method because this does affect(causes the polymer to be branched/unbranched) the properties of the polymer due to the different conditions.

Hope that makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)