• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Wireless Internet for Laptop (1 Viewer)

when u buy a laptop with centrino and its wireless what does that mean?

can u travel anywhere and still have the net on it? or do u need to buy a special wireless internet connection service and if so, why not just buy a laptop that isnt wireless?

whats blue tooth?

Last edited by a moderator:

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
centrino means you can connect wirelessly to a nearby wireless access point. e.g. if you have broadband through a gateway, chances are you will be able to access it through your laptop when you set it up. you can't use it anywhere, the range is limited. in my house it works for about 50m, but the access point doesn't give a very strong signal, so even though i have centrino, i had to buy a PCMCIA wireless network card to get the net in my room and boost the signal. otherwise buy a stronger access point, which is a lot more expensive.

the companies that have wireless pc modems will allow you to access the internet almost anywhere e.g. iburst. you have to plug the modem in and take it with you.

if you're at uni, like unsw and usyd have wireless networks, so you can access the net there through a laptop with centrino or wireless. sometimes across sydney you can gain access to unsecured networks that other people have left open, but you're not supposed to do that.

ummm i can't explain bluetooth... only know the wireless stuff through months of trying to get mine to work in the stupid house properly.

oh and someone correct me or tell me if i'm wrong about anything, this is just what i've picked up, i'm not a very techy person.

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Centrino is just a marketing term Intel uses when a laptop is packaged with a Pentium M processor, a built in wireless network card, and a certain range of Intel chipsets. Together they're meant to cut power consumption and provide wireless capabilities. In reality its just another computer with a wireless network card, and works like any other. Other questions have been answered already.

Bluetooth is a type of "personal area network" - its another type of wireless network designed for short range and low speed data transfer - good for things like phones and PDAs. Typical range of about 10m.

fatmuscle

HSC
jsut one thing about the wireless ISPs - iBurst and unWired...

although they give you wireless access from nearly anywhere in Metropolitan SYd/Melb, it is not ROAMING.

that means u can't travel and have internet access continuously. you have to reconnect to another access point or 'base station' everytime you move (of some significant distance).

piconets!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
My dads laptop is wireless so I got a wireless broadband router so now it shares my desktops broadband connection wirlessly. I can surf the net anywhere in the house with no cables :)

I had to explain to my dad that he cant surf the net anywhere else unless he gets a wireless net ISP :rolleyes:

thats surprising, i thought there would be purly wireless laptops u can take anywhere. that would be so popular someone should invent it.

sunny

meh.
HSC
codereder said:
thats surprising, i thought there would be purly wireless laptops u can take anywhere. that would be so popular someone should invent it.
You still need a service provider to give you a connection and access. Think of it as a mobile phone - they're wireless, but its useless without provider coverage. They certainly exist, but its expensive and doesn't have alot of coverage.

fatmuscle

HSC
codereder said:
It's called 'Mobile IP'.

They're still working on the best way to deliver the product out to the consumer market.

see also WIMAX

fatmuscle

HSC
i only got a Pass for that subject, so no point listening to me

how expensive. is it even worth getting if u wanna take a laptop with internet with u wherever u go, do u need to take a modem around with you

fatmuscle

HSC
need to take modem with you.

please reduce the size of your signature image.

busterblues

04 Info Tech First in HSC
HSC
I am a fan of the Centrino Certified laptops for one reason. They are optimised for laptop use. Notebook manufacturers are continously releasing products which are high performers but as soon as you take it away from a power outlet you have approximately 40-50 min battery life! This is simply not practical for the purpose of the laptop! To be used on the go. There is no need with a laptop to be restricted by wires and that is the whole Centrino philosophy

Intel Pentium M Processor - Latest processor architecture, fraction of the power consumption. So powerful in fact, that some chipset manufactures are offering Pentium M riser chipset adapters for Pentium 4 Motherboards!

Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG - 802.11b/g Wireless Networking Card. Wireless LAN at your fingertips. A lot of universities and schools are rolling out wireless LAN capabilities and I think this will continue once a solid standard has been set and agreed on. Wireless Technology is always improving though which means that businesses often dont want to fork out the money straight away.

Intel Mobile Motherboard - A standard everyday mobo. Intel, low power. Not much info needed there.

Centrino Certified laptops can give you 3.5 hours battery life on a standard 6 cell battery and even more on the 8 cell batteries. Truth of the matter is that as long as you have a Pentium M in there you will get all the major benifits of Centrino battery life :p

iamsickofyear12

HSC
melsc said:
My dads laptop is wireless so I got a wireless broadband router so now it shares my desktops broadband connection wirlessly. I can surf the net anywhere in the house with no cables :)

I had to explain to my dad that he cant surf the net anywhere else unless he gets a wireless net ISP :rolleyes:
I just bought a wireless access point and was sitting in my kitchen on the net and my mum says "can you use that anywhere in the world?" She has no idea about computers. She can't even move the taskbar or create folders in her email.

And when I was setting it up I found 2 other peoples wireless networks. One is unsecure but too far from my house to get a strong signal. But I know who's house it is and could go park my car out front and use their net.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I just bought a wireless access point and was sitting in my kitchen on the net and my mum says "can you use that anywhere in the world?" She has no idea about computers. She can't even move the taskbar or create folders in her email.

And when I was setting it up I found 2 other peoples wireless networks. One is unsecure but too far from my house to get a strong signal. But I know who's house it is and could go park my car out front and use their net.
That reminds me to get off my lazy ass and make sure the network is 100% secure :rolleyes:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Not quite - some say "unsecured" - but they still have a wireless MAC adress filter on them.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Grizzly said:
Not quite - some say "unsecured" - but they still have a wireless MAC adress filter on them.
I can connect to it. Just can't do much because I'm too far away.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Today I was driving around and there are so many people with unsecured wireless networks. In 15 minutes I found about 50 of them.

One idiot even had his network name as his address so that if I wasn't close enough to get a good connection I could go find his house and park right outside it.

sunny

meh.
HSC
And you were able to connect to all of them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)