Women in Persia (1 Viewer)

Nikki22

HSC
Hey
Just wondering if anyone had any info about women in Persia (in 2 categories - royal and non-royal) cause Im a bit stuck.
Thanks

a_bonafide

ya i got some
this info is by mausome price
if u dont already have it msg me with ur email address and ill send it to u
there some prob with this uploading thing

a_bonafide

ya i got some
this info is by mausome price
if u dont already have it msg me with ur email address and ill send it to u
there some prob with this uploading thing

fruit_tingles

hey im also very interested in the information you have on women in Persia.. from the Achaemenid period. My email address is pretti_in_pink@hotmail.com that is....if you're feeling nice and want 2 send me some info... thanx =)

wilted.sour

HSC
Summary Notes from Excel Guide (probably of no use to you at all but incase anyone else stumbles upon this in hopes to find something..anything hehe):

Roles and Status of Women; Royal and Non-royal

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Information on the lives of royal and non-royal women comes from treasury texts found at Persepolis as well as sources from Babylon and other major cities[/FONT]​
Royal Women:

• [FONT=&quot]Terms ‘irti’ and ‘duksis’ referred to Royal women[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Royal women were both wealthy and powerful. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]The royal women had their own hierarchy, depending on their relationship to the king and martial status.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Women were not voiceless or inactive, they controlled their wealth, gave orders and had considerable authority around the court[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Royal women were financially independent, had a hand in economic affairs and enjoyed freedom of movement and the opportunity to enhance their own personal financial position[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]A wife would visit the Persian judge on matters related to the financial affairs of her estates[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Participated in Royal feasts and were present at special ‘arashshara’[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Royal concubines were titled ‘women of the king’ but were not his exclusively[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sometimes used for diplomatic marriages[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Non-Royal Women:

• [FONT=&quot]Non-Royal women were referred to as ‘mutu’[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Were employed in workshops and were ranked according to their responsibilities; higher the rank the more rations they were given – skill was also rewarded with promotion (While some occupations employed both sexes, some were specifically single sex)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Some women were even promoted to high managerial positions – the great chiefs and were called ‘arashshara’[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Pregnant women also received higher rations and new mothers could earn more if they delivered boys[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] Women had legal rights of ownership and purchase and financial and legal independence[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Assumed royal and aristocratic women wore veils as a sign of their status, whereas lower class women probably did not wear veils[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)