• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Woodwork (1 Viewer)

evanish

HSC
N/A
Is anyone here interested in woodwork...like making stuff out of wood? I wanna get into it but the thing is i don't know how to go about starting. Any ideas about the equipment and materials required would be appreciated. Any tips and easy projects would be cool too.

Thanks

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
woodwork in year 9/10 makes me nostalgic :) most of the furniture in my room is what ive made..nothing more satisfying than the smell of wood and lungs being filled with all the particles from hours of sanding and sanding...and going crazy with the staple gun :p

i think it would be difficult to start on a project without some guidance on what tools would be appropriate and how joints fit etc, and it costs heaps to start up a ww shed. maybe you could sign up for a classes? there are lots out there!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
veanz said:
woodwork in year 9/10 makes me nostalgic :) most of the furniture in my room is what ive made..nothing more satisfying than the smell of wood and lungs being filled with all the particles from hours of sanding and sanding...and going crazy with the staple gun :p

i think it would be difficult to start on a project without some guidance on what tools would be appropriate and how joints fit etc, and it costs heaps to start up a ww shed. maybe you could sign up for a classes? there are lots out there!
haha i feel exactly the same way!!
so many unfinished projects in my room

nothing more satisfying than seeing the finished work in perfection
i miss that wood/vanish smell

--------

it is near impossible to learn woodworking on your own without some expert advice. although it is possible but if you tend to give up easily then this is impossible because the work you start off with will never look good...it gets better with experience
equipment wise, depends on what you are making...but i guess all you really need is a saw, hammer, glue, clamps, straigh edge, coping saw, chisels and that's about it

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
hahhahahaha i did wood work for DT for my hsc and i like i never did woodwork in my junior yaers so i had no idea how to use the tools and stuff and whenever i tried to hammer the nails into the wood they kept bending so i had to pull them out and do them again each time and yeah wood work is hard:(

boz

CEO
HSC
im going to restore/ build the decapitating sail boat that my grandfather made in 1960 after hsc. Its 12m and is rotting, prolly have to strip most of it. But parents are giving me dosh to do it so im stoked. Its a bit job though, hasnt been out on the water in twenty years, since my pop died.

mattyg87

HSC
you can pretty much get started with basic tools like hammers, saws, squares, chisels, nail punch etc.

when you get to more complicated projects you will need some other tools like maybe a router, drop saw, disc sander, lathe etc.

Something that would be a good project to start with is a bedside cabinet or cd tower... Probably the cd tower because you wont need too much skill to make one of them - just make it where the cd's stand up on their side and say about 4 shelves..make sure that you leave room for the thickness of the timber and some room to get the cd's out :)

just make sure you have all the nails, screws, wood glue etc, before you start because its a pain going to and from the hardware store to get all this stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)