• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Working + Uni (1 Viewer)

do0d19

HSC
N/A
I'm in 3rd year uni now doing the standard 4 subs (of a 5yr combined degree) and I've been working 3 days a week, 8am-5pm on the days I work. I'm always tired and don't get much free time anymore these days. Do all uni students do this? Coz I'm thinking about quitting my job to get some more relaxing time where I'm not at work, uni or at home doing assignments.

I feel like I'm burning out, but dunno if I'm just being soft, lol. I'm heaps use to all the money as well, so that will be a problem. HELP! Any ideas on balancing work and uni? I was so close to quitting my job right on the spot today...

Also what jobs are heaps flexible for uni students that only want to work maybe once a week? Most office jobs don't like people working only once or twice a week, hence why I'm forced to work 3 days.

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah I hear you... I'm used to working and earning money as well - the only times I haven't were during the HSC and now. This semester, I've got a massive load of stuff and I needed good marks entering honours. I'm glad I'm not working, because a lot of stuff's hit me with assignments, study, committees and volunteer work that I do, etc. Next semester will probably be the same, although the semester after, I'm looking to do honours part time so I can still do another subject (equals nearly a full load) and work.

I think that if you are really freaking out, 3 full days of work is a bit much - especially because it really is a full day. Why not ask your work if you can reduce your days, rather than simply quit? I think when possible, most employers are quite reasonable. At the very least, if they want 3 full days (and you'll have to quit) and you're not under a contract, you may be able to tell them that you're okay to work one or two days a week until they find a suitable replacement.

Definitely talk with your employer about it, though. Nothing agitated me more as an employer than when someone would simply say 'Sorry I've got a lot of shit on my plate kthxbye'.

If you're living with your parents, you'll obviously have to talk with them about it without doing anything first. Giving people notice 'I'm thinking of...' is always a good idea... If you're not living with your parents, maybe think about scholarships, Centrelink, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

GinoIs

HSC
do0d19 said:
Also what jobs are heaps flexible for uni students that only want to work maybe once a week? Most office jobs don't like people working only once or twice a week, hence why I'm forced to work 3 days.
I'm working at a petrol station - I get about 10-15hrs a week or approx. 150-250$ - depending on which days I work.
Basically i'm they've taylored their rooster so that they're working around my Uni timetable.
Because this petrol station isn't run by a corporate (well it is, but a family looks after it), they're really easy-going with my times.
I work at United Petrol, Places like BP etc. are more corporate run - where as United is governed by big corporate ppl - but they get familes to run it - rather than some big boss at the station.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i work three days a week and i know what you mean, however i still find there is time to chill out with my boyfriend, im still able to see him most days and spend nights just watching dvds and having dinner and such.

However having said that... on the way to and from work which is about an hour and a 15mins each way... i do uni work, or listen to ilectures on my mobile.

I don't think you'de be as burnt out if you found ways to study and do uni work during times when your doing nothing.. if that makes sense.

I've also found that going to the gym has energised me and I'm not as tired as if I would be if I hadn't gone to the gym, hence allowing me to do more uni work.

Also during times when you've set aside to do work... really do it! And use rewards to motivate you. For me my rewards are cuddling up to my boyfriend and being able to see him which motivates me to do as much uni work as possible.

HSC
i work five days a week and do full-time uni .. i pretty much don't go to class/do assignments at the last minute/learn stuff for the first time the night before the exam

and you do get pretty burned out after a while, but hey

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Work 5 days a week, doing honours, and picking up a tutoring job next semester.

QQ more.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
katietheskatie said:
i work five days a week and do full-time uni .. i pretty much don't go to class/do assignments at the last minute/learn stuff for the first time the night before the exam

How can you handle that? To do everything last minute, i would die if I was doing what you're doing. :rofl:

Trajan

HSC
katietheskatie said:

wow...thats pretty much what I do

Except I outsource my assignments to tutors with PHD's and I gun the exams.

X

xeuyrawp

chicky_pie said:
How can you handle that? To do everything last minute, i would die if I was doing what you're doing. :rofl:
Er... How can she handle not going to uni...?

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I had a job that I worked at for around five hours shifts, twice a week, and near the end of the semester that just got to be too much with all my assignments draining my every spare second, so I slowed down and I'm more or less on a break now.
I have no idea how you cope with three full days of work a week.

do0d19

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all your replies, even if it was just to make me feel like I'm not the only one working so much!

I've spoken to my employer, and managed to cut down to one day a week during exam time, which is awesome.

I had a job that I worked at for around five hours shifts, twice a week, and near the end of the semester that just got to be too much with all my assignments draining my every spare second, so I slowed down and I'm more or less on a break now.
I have no idea how you cope with three full days of work a week.
3 days of work + fulltime uni is pretty much only possible if you never go to lectures :( lol. I went the whole semester with only going to the final lectures for all my business subjects and most law subs don't have attendence requirements even for tutes, but I usually try to go to most tutorials.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
do0d19 said:
Thanks for all your replies, even if it was just to make me feel like I'm not the only one working so much!

I've spoken to my employer, and managed to cut down to one day a week during exam time, which is awesome.

3 days of work + fulltime uni is pretty much only possible if you never go to lectures :( lol. I went the whole semester with only going to the final lectures for all my business subjects and most law subs don't have attendence requirements even for tutes, but I usually try to go to most tutorials.
Or do them externally.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
do0d19 said:
Its about finding a good balance between things.

Currently im managing to work 3 days of office hours, plus full-time uni load (3rd year). Add to that a girlfriend and social life, and it can be fairly hectic at times.

I always manage to hit my lectures, because the courses im doing need lecture attendance if you want anything above scraping a pass.

Anything is possible with proper time management. There are 119 hours in a week that you have available (with 7 hours sleep/night).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)