Working while undertaking Year 12 (1 Viewer)

Joker37

HSC
In your opinion, is it wise for someone under-taking legal studies or subjects that will lead to medicine to work (let's say in retail) while studying Year 11 or 12 for VCE? Does it greatly effect their study? And in the long-run, will it be a negative decision for their places in their future careers?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Depends how you can time manage. I was poor at time management, but it just meant when i got home from work i had less time to procrastinate and basically had to focus on working straight away.

yer8899

HSC
i am working during the hsc. i like it because at the end of the day, i have more money, more work experience and i am learning to save instead of spend. also, i like the fact that i dont have to ask my parents for money everytime i go out to the movies etc.

HSC
I work 5 hours per week, and I don't believe that it interferes with my studies at all. I think that it's better for my study, as I force myself to study/complete homework between 8-11.15 on a Saturday, before working 12.30-5.30.

Working PT will not be a negative experience if you can find a flexible job, in fact it might work in your favour if you can keep the position once you are at uni.

kloudsurfer

HSC
I worked throughout yr 11 and 12, and believe it or not, got into med.

I think theres not problem with it at all. Its not like you will have to study every hour of every day, so you might as well use your time to make some money.

Of course, if I had a choice and my parents were going to give me money instead, then screw working...

m&ss2008

HSC
ive been working for a while now, usually about 10 hours each week. as people above me mentioned its a really good feeling to have independence and being able to pay for yourself.

also if i wasnt working i would be wasting time another way

uncomeringue

HSC
reckon it benefits study.. if you have less time to do the study, you are more likely to get it done in that time imo. busy people get more done :)
i work weekend mornings & it makes me study in afternoons... also makes me sleep better cos i go to bed at a reasonable time if i know i have to work at 6.30am, which is another benefit to study.
but i guess it depends what job & what person... i doubt it would affect study badly. and if it does, you can just quit anyway.

h1958buglid

HSC
uncomeringue said:
reckon it benefits study.. if you have less time to do the study, you are more likely to get it done in that time imo. busy people get more done :)
i work weekend mornings & it makes me study in afternoons... also makes me sleep better cos i go to bed at a reasonable time if i know i have to work at 6.30am, which is another benefit to study.
but i guess it depends what job & what person... i doubt it would affect study badly. and if it does, you can just quit anyway.

yeah thats defs true!!!!!!! good point

blakegman

HSC
N/A
If you can't manage to work 10 hours a week or whatever casuals do and study for the HSC then you are probably going to massively fail at life later on.

HSC
babikakez said:
I work 5 hours per week, and I don't believe that it interferes with my studies at all. I think that it's better for my study, as I force myself to study/complete homework between 8-11.15 on a Saturday, before working 12.30-5.30.
are you serious? you mean working five hours a week doesn't interfere with your studying time? but it's five hours! how the fuck do you find time to eat, sleep or anything with that hectic schedule?

born2b

HSC
Joker37 said:
In your opinion, is it wise for someone under-taking legal studies or subjects that will lead to medicine to work (let's say in retail) while studying Year 11 or 12 for VCE? Does it greatly effect their study? And in the long-run, will it be a negative decision for their places in their future careers?
looks like your in vic, anyways.

its all got to do with your intelligence .. if your one of those people who are smart by hours and hours of studying or just intelligent, 15 hours a week is healthy work, but over 20ish is a bit too much.. depends though,, it all depends on what kind of person u are

if ur commited you will be allright

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
Hell No. not during the Heat of TRials...HSC exams in general NO FCKIN WAY can u TIME MANAGE THAT..UNless your really good at it which i am going 2 assume your not and say DONT DO IT.
but year 11 go ahead...work all u like work as much as u can then save save save 4 the hsc period thats what i would recommend.

but theres a thing called Part time...which u can... btw no point getting experience for work now...i mean i got like 3 retails jobs iv done i have like a shit load of experiences...but wtf....i didnt go 4 the job for exp i got the job cause i wanted the $$$ MWHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH mAAHAHAHAHWHWHAHHWAHAHAHWHAWHAHWHWHAHa

daniel`

HSC
I work like 15 hours a week, I manage.

Although, I only do 10 units.

born2b

HSC
grow the hell up you can manage if ur motivated ... thats all...

up2 20 hours a week is ok

RocKetBoy

HSC
casual/part time job is good, you need a good flexibility job while studying in ur free time
I find having a casual job gud cos im forced to organise my time.
if i didn't have a job, my free time would be all over the place and i would end up playin pc games 24/7 and neglecting hw.
if you are used to studying 24/7 then i guess a casual time job = BAD lol...
im a greedy person so i find earning money fun! =D
i work 3-5hrs a week and it doesn't affect me at all =P

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
dodgyv said:
Hell No. not during the Heat of TRials...HSC exams in general NO FCKIN WAY can u TIME MANAGE THAT..UNless your really good at it which i am going 2 assume your not and say DONT DO IT.
but year 11 go ahead...work all u like work as much as u can then save save save 4 the hsc period thats what i would recommend.

but theres a thing called Part time...which u can... btw no point getting experience for work now...i mean i got like 3 retails jobs iv done i have like a shit load of experiences...but wtf....i didnt go 4 the job for exp i got the job cause i wanted the $$$ MWHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH mAAHAHAHAHWHWHAHHWAHAHAHWHAWHAHWHWHAHa
SOFT

HSC
Up until a couple of weeks ago I used to work 11.5 hours per week. This would be from Monday to Saturday and didn't in anyway interfere with my studying.

This may however, have something to do with the fact that I don't study. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)