• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Workload at Uni (1 Viewer)

stargater74

University Workload
I want to go to either Griffith or Southern Cross Uni and study
  • Griffith - B Information Technology/B Multimedia
  • Southern Cross - B Information Technology OR
  • Southern Cross - B Multimedia
What I'd like to find out off people who are already studying these courses is how many hours per week do u have to go to lectures??

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
check out their website

www.griffith.edu.au

it is suggested you do 2 hrs preparation time for every 1 hr lecture/tutorial eg. normal course attendance is 15-18 hrs is normal study 30-36 hrs a week is not that much considering is much less time than high school attendance time

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
WTF 30-36 hours a week of normal study, thats suicide :p, so you would study 6 days a week for 6 hours a day? fuck that!

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Shit, I did about 1 hour of hw/study a week before the last holidays, now I increased that to 3 hours a day MAX, then about the same on weekends.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
C'mon people...thats 30-36 hours a week in theory. Most of us know the art of cutting corners by now.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
I've tried that with negative effects for some of my subjects, of course for assignments plaguerism is neccessary :D

ErgoSum

HSC
Heya
I do software engineering at usyd, and well i have 25 contact hours which is 10 hours lectures and 15 hours tutorials, pracs and other stuff. Theoretically for each hour at uni you should spend 1 at home .. but thats not really very accurate. Ive been finding that since i only spend 10 hours actually learning new stuff, and then liek 15 hours practising it at uni, i can come home and mostly just bludge around. One or two days a week ill do some revision, and get some assignment work done .. but most of the time the extra hours at uni pay for themselves with less work outside of uni. On the other hand, when assignments are nearing their due dates , and also when exams are coming up ill find myself (like most others) spending many many hours revising etc..

mp3mojo

how's software eng in usyd?
is it fun? easy 2 get good marks?

i currently do software eng in unsw, kinda wan 2 transfer 2 usyd

ErgoSum

HSC
Hmm yeah its good

I like usyd, nice atmosphere.. dont know how much easier it would be really depends on you a lot i think, nsw seems much more focussed on maths, theoritacs of software whereas sydney seems focussed on team based working and writing good (although not complicated code). So. if you are a people person sydney would be a good choice. First semester at sydney had no assumed knowledge so the course was a snorejob.. second semester im learning some good stuff about object oriented programming. Workload isnt too intense, seems to be less than my nsw friends get but i dont know for sure

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by enak
WTF 30-36 hours a week of normal study, thats suicide :p, so you would study 6 days a week for 6 hours a day? fuck that!
:rolleyes: "what did you expect it is UNI"

is not high school....

but who are the very FEW that does it anyway? :rolleyes:

1st yr is always for bludging, drinking, parties, night life then screwing over ur exams and realising the pain :D that seems like a real step of mine :D

CRAMMING won't work in uni, unless u have all ur homework and summarised modules down :( and too bad there isn't uni help sites such as this one where you can get all ur plagarised notes :mad: ahhhhh WORK = REWARDS

Generator

HSC
N/A
cramming does work, provided that you have achieved decent results earlier in the semester.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
cramming does work, provided that you have achieved decent results earlier in the semester.
IT DOES? KOOL..

HOORAY FOR CRAMMING :D :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Generator
How do you define Cramming then? (Doesn't cramming meaning seeing and learning something for the first time?)

Generator

HSC
N/A
I always saw it as studying at the last moment, which includes learning a few small sections that slipped through the net earlier in the term/semester. So while not learning it for the first time, you are actually seeing it for the first time in a while...

If that's not the meaning, then eh, maybe you can't.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
i always thought cramming was the definition of:

- summarised topics

revising all topics to make sure you can remember it

or is this way off the topic and efinition of cramming?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
That's way way way pff the def of Cramming... that's

(i always thought cramming was the definition of:

- summarised topics)

like doing heaps and heaps of work.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
That's way way way pff the def of Cramming... that's

(i always thought cramming was the definition of:

- summarised topics)

like doing heaps and heaps of work.
i think you got it wrong

- i summarise all my topics the week before the exams
- then before the exam or 2 nites at least before the exam i review all my summarised notes to make sure i covered all the work i need

this was MY definition of cramming (REVISING OVER THINGS I HAVE SUMMARISED)

so your calling this way off the topic?

EDIT: if this is way off the topic, guess im dead?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
(Don't worry, all thread end up way of topic.)

Well, that's an interesting way of cramming. I just thought cramming was more like opening the textbook for the first time a few days before the exam, and seeing how much you could shove into your head for the exams, and then leave the exam with no memory or knowledge of the subject.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Summarise the topic during the final week and then review? I have always seen that as being prepared ...

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
(Don't worry, all thread end up way of topic.)

Well, that's an interesting way of cramming. I just thought cramming was more like opening the textbook for the first time a few days before the exam, and seeing how much you could shove into your head for the exams, and then leave the exam with no memory or knowledge of the subject.
so this method will be fine in uni? or negative?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)