Worried for English Studies exam (1 Viewer)

elsamarylewis

HSC
So I’m a student doing English Studies because I didn’t get into English Standard because my Y10 English was poor even tho I got C on the final report card. I’m now really insecure on how to tackle the questions gonna be asked on the HSC Exams. I have completed all available English Studies past exams and still don’t think I’m going to do well. In terms of ranking in English Studies, I rank 1st because my whole English class is doing a NON ATAR pathway/ doing life skills.Beside me who is doing an approach to getting an ATAR. But the thing is that I haven’t received any offers since I have payed the UAC Fee to get offers, in other subjects I’m getting sound marks. I don’t know if I can score high in the English Studies Exam even tho I have read all my notes on Text and Human Experiences, and the module that my teacher wants us to do because we have majority of the notes on, if there is anyone else doing English Studies please reach out, and tell me how you been studying for the exam, also accepting anyone who’s doing Standard or Advanced on how their studying for their exams. Thank you for reading this, have a good day.

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
The English Studies Examination is comprised of four sections, as follows:
  • Section I – 20 marks: This section assesses your knowledge and understanding of Texts and Human Experiences by asking you questions about a number of unseen texts. A good way to prepare for this section is to go through all the literary and visual techniques that you have learned throughout the year. Examples of techniques include similes and metaphors. I also suggest taking a look at the syllabus document for English Studies (https://educationstandards.nsw.edu....s-stage-6-syllabus-2017.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=) and the NESA Support Document for English Studies (https://syllabus.nesa.nsw.edu.au/as...sample-learning-experiences-and-resources.pdf).
  • Section II – 20 marks: This section also assesses your knowledge and understanding of Texts and Human Experiences, this time in essay form. Ensure you have a thorough understanding of your prescribed text(s) for this section, allowing you to develop a good analysis and ultimately provide a good quality response.
  • Section III – 15 marks: Similar to section II, this section assesses your knowledge of the Elective Modules that you have studied. Ensure you have a thorough understanding of your prescribed text(s) for this section, as you may be required to demonstrate this by referring to more than one text allowing you to develop a good analysis and ultimately provide a good quality response.
  • Section IV – 15 marks: This section is very similar to Module C in English Standard and English Advanced. The only way to effectively prepare for this section is to practise writing and responding to various stimuli, allowing you to refine your writing skills and boost your confidence, particularly since you are not made aware of the stimulus prior to the exam.
I hope this helps! :D

elsamarylewis

HSC
I understand how the exam is gonna be like, I’m after how do I prep for it

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
Also, If you don’t receive offers, don’t panic, it’s not the end of the world. Just stay calm and wait till ATAR rounds or look at your current preferences and see if it’s possible to getting to that course.

elsamarylewis

HSC
Well There are copy right strikes on most of the HSC exams how do you over come them?

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
Also another tip is reading texts without leaving behind quotes or key information. I used to really struggle with comprehension in Year 7 and I never used to get my head wrapped around the text and write carelessly without any link to the text.

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
Copied this from NESA but

English Studies Paper 1 Section I

Question 1

In better responses students were able to:

provide an effective explanation of how visual techniques have been used to represent an idea such as unity or connection through the variety of food types and colours
select appropriate references from the text to support their ideas.
Areas for students to improve include:

ensuring they explain, rather than describe, details of the text
making explicit references to visual features and how they demonstrate specific human experiences.
Question 2

clearly explain how the reader is drawn into the experience by the introduction
make a connection between sharing food and its ability to be ‘nourishing and nurturing’
provide relevant references from the text.

ensuring they explain clearly how the reader is drawn in through the use of specific language forms and features
selecting appropriate references from the text which include the reader in the experience.
Question 3

provide an effective explanation showing how exploring place can be mysterious and uncertain
select appropriate references from the text to support their explanation.

avoiding merely describing the image provided with the poem
explaining how the forms and features of the poem demonstrate human experiences such as discovery and reflection.

English Studies Paper 1 Section II

General Feedback

Students should:

respond explicitly to the question, ensuring that all elements are addressed in a balanced and consistent manner
develop a deep understanding of their prescribed text
demonstrate understanding of the prescribed text through evidence and examples from across the text, judiciously selected to support their argument
organise and structure a cohesive argument
compose a sustained, cohesive and structured response with controlled expression, purposeful and evaluative language and an authentic voice.
In better responses, students were able to:

purposefully address the key terms of the question in a consistent and balanced way
build a convincing thesis that evaluated how stories effectively reveal the shared and personal nature of experiences
consider how the textual form, features and language of the prescribed text are used to tell stories and reveal meaning
explain how the audience is positioned by the text’s construction, with particular consideration of form and genre.

ensuring they respond to the full scope of the question
developing a line of argument that deliberately addresses the specific elements of the question without relying on generic statements from the module description
evaluating the author’s intent and the effect of their compositional choices on the audience
analysing, rather than describing, how the text has been composed
using the metalanguage of form.
Section III

Question 7

Students should:

address all parts of the question
demonstrate understanding of a significant issue through explicit discussion of a module and text studied
write a structured response, appropriate to audience and purpose.

explicitly and clearly discuss the issue studied and the extent to which this study allowed for a rethinking of the issue
establish a clear line of argument which was maintained throughout the response
provide explicit and varied examples of textual evidence to support their argument.

providing responses that offer a more detailed discussion of the question
writing with increased specificity, rather than making vague or general statements
taking care with control of language.
Section IV

Question 8

Students should:

engage with the stimulus provided
show an awareness of form – imaginative, reflective or persuasive.

effectively engage with the stimulus in a way that went beyond interpretation
successfully use the elements of the chosen form
use language in a well-developed and coherent way.

engaging with the specific terms of the question
developing meaningful engagement with the conventions of the chosen form
composing a controlled and complete response.

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
Finally before I go, DONT STRESS. YOU GOT TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. STRESS WOULD MAKE YOU THINK YOU WONT OVERCOME IT.
Drink plenty of water if your stressing like crazy.

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
But I don’t know if I’m gonna do well in the English Studies Exam
Everyone thinks that for their English HSC exam, it’s about being patient and not stressing. The whole BOS would believe in you, just don’t stress. Even tho English Studies, isn’t the most popular English because of the low scaling and the students not doing anything, don’t make them influence your decision to not try, don’t follow people, be yourself, you can get the highest Band in English Studies, and change the 2019 ATAR record of the highest ATAR gotten from English Studies which was 81 something. So just believe.

elsamarylewis

HSC
Can you send short answer questions, that I can answer and rethink my reading comprehension technique. Thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)