would BOS specify a poem of Yeats to write about? (1 Viewer)

feifeimy4ever

HSC
I am currently preparing 3 of Yeats poems for the HSC.
But would BOS specify any one or two of them to let u write about?
Have they ever done that in the HSC?
Anyone knows?

hjp.

HSC
no, i dont believe they have.
doesn't mean they won't or couldn't?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Nahh they can't
Or at least, I'm fairly sure they can't...
because there are several texts in each module, and it would negatively impact those students studying Yeats if a specific poem was chosen.
Keep in mind though that the question can direct you more to a single poem (i.e. without explicitly stating that the student MUST focus on that poem, the question may lend itself better to that poem)
But in answer to your question, no they can't MAKE you do a specific poem.

Azreil

HSC
wixxy2348 said:
Nahh they can't
Or at least, I'm fairly sure they can't...
because there are several texts in each module, and it would negatively impact those students studying Yeats if a specific poem was chosen.
Keep in mind though that the question can direct you more to a single poem (i.e. without explicitly stating that the student MUST focus on that poem, the question may lend itself better to that poem)
But in answer to your question, no they can't MAKE you do a specific poem.
Yes they can.

See 2002 English (Advanced) Modules. They can ask for one poem (or speech, etc) to be the only one referred to, or state you MUST refer to a specific poem AND another.

feifeimy4ever

HSC
sigh...i kno it's always better to prepare more...jst in case
but...i mean, who can finish everything?!~~
good luck guys, thx 4 replying =)

Lordie

HSC
Generally they wouldn't specify a specific poem, however they could AIM the question at specific poems, for instance their themes differ, ie. A question on love, would use different poems to a question on death.

dolbinau

HSC
I know Easter, Sailing, When you are Old, Second Coming.

Guhhh. Need to learn Wild Swans (I could imagine that being asked as it's popular). And Byzantium of course.

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Sigh this would be the same for Gwen Harwood then. I hope they dont ask about Alter-Ego, ill be farked.

hjp.

HSC
SkimDawg said:
Sigh this would be the same for Gwen Harwood then. I hope they dont ask about Alter-Ego, ill be farked.
HAHA
i hate alter-ego too
so many people in my class write about it! and i'm like no way!
it's so much harder compared to the others
i don't even think i've read it
i took one look and went 'no....'

feifeimy4ever

HSC
Lordie said:
Generally they wouldn't specify a specific poem, however they could AIM the question at specific poems, for instance their themes differ, ie. A question on love, would use different poems to a question on death.

I checked the hsc past papers yesterday. They have never specified any poems for Yeats. BUT in 2002, they did specify ONE poem in Module B.

I really think it's unfair to specify any poems so Im gonna memorise Second Coming and Wild Swan in full length, and Easter and Sailing to Byzantium with quotes and a bit of analysis. For When You Are Old, I have not much to talk about and for Byzantium, it is a lot harder compared to the other poems; it's not as popular; and the ideas and sytle is quite similar to Sailing... So, I'll jst memorise quotes, jst in case. =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)