• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Would this Laptop Scam Work? (people with morals should stay away) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Hi,

I've got no morals.

I've got a laptop and it's currently under warranty until January of next year. My plan: I'm thinking of intentionally burning some of the pixels on the screen just before the warranty expries, so I then get a brand new laptop for uni.

Would my scam work? Or shouldn't I risk it?

Also, I know this is totally immoral but I don't give shit. Please leave morals out of this.

Thanks!

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
It'd work, also depends on how reliable your warranty is.

sunny

meh.
HSC
um.

They'd just replace the screen.

They could also say its not covered under warranty and you'd lose majorly.

HSC
sunny said:
um.

They'd just replace the screen.

They could also say its not covered under warranty and you'd lose majorly.
But surely they wouldn't be bothered to change the screen rather than just giving me a new laptop?

EDIT: How could they say my warranty isn't valid when I have all the papers to prove it is?

Last edited:
HSC
EbonyTW said:
It'd work, also depends on how reliable your warranty is.
My warranty is EXTREMELY reliable. Just 2 days ago I ordered a new charger chord for my laptop as my one got torn, and there was no questions asked. NEXT DAY there was a new chord on my doorstep.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
you deleted your other posts and posted this on a new account. nice

by OBL said:
OK, this is what I'm thinking of doing. It's totally immoral/unethical, but meh.
I'm thinking of intentionally burning some pixels on my screen just before the warranty expires, so that way I get a free laptop.

Do you think that'll work?

(Please leave morals out of this)
as i said, it depends on the terms/conditions of your warranty and if it's covered by it. And it's pretty hard to burn in pixels on ur screen, i honestly don't see the hassle. Not to mention you won't be getting a free laptop, I think that you would have to hand your current laptop back and then they give you a new one of around the same specifications.

So no, i don't think it'll work.
you already got ur answer from some of us. isn't that enough? What do you want us to tell you? that you'll get your laptop back 100% guaranteed?

HSC
shinji said:
you deleted your other posts and posted this on a new account. nice

you already got ur answer from some of us. isn't that enough? What do you want us to tell you? that you'll get your laptop back 100% guaranteed?
OBL got banned and so I posted up the question again because I wasn't able to read the other responces. I just need some more opinions.

Thanks for your input though.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Explosions Hurt said:
My warranty is EXTREMELY reliable. Just 2 days ago I ordered a new charger chord for my laptop as my one got torn, and there was no questions asked. NEXT DAY there was a new chord on my doorstep.
that's because that is a small expense to them. It may just be cheaper for them to replace the monitor on thel aptop rather than give you a new laptop altogether.

As is said, depends on terms and conditions of warranty. if they find out that you intentionally burned in the pixels, then they won't let you excercise the warranty.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Explosions Hurt said:
But surely they wouldn't be bothered to change the screen rather than just giving me a new laptop?
It would take a service technician all of 10 minutes to change an LCD screen, that and its cheaper than giving you another (probably refurbished, not new) laptop.

Explosions Hurt said:
EDIT: How could they say my warranty isn't valid when I have all the papers to prove it is?
LCD warranties are pretty strict. You would want to read what is covered and what is not. Its like saying your house burnt down and screaming to your insurance company you have "insurance" when it says in the policy fire damage isn't covered.

Warranties in general only cover faults with the product, not negligence on the user's part. How you plan on "burning" several specific pixels I don't know.

HSC
shinji said:
that's because that is a small expense to them. It may just be cheaper for them to replace the monitor on thel aptop rather than give you a new laptop altogether.

As is said, depends on terms and conditions of warranty. if they find out that you intentionally burned in the pixels, then they won't let you excercise the warranty.
But how would they know? Pixels burn out, and surely they wouldn't be bothered to investigate. Could be wrong though. How do I find the terms of my warranty?

HSC
sunny said:
It would take a service technician all of 10 minutes to change an LCD screen.

LCD warranties are pretty strict. You would want to read what is covered and what is not. Its like saying your house burnt down and screaming to your insurance company you have "insurance" when it says in the policy fire damage isn't covered.

Warranties in general only cover faults with the product, not negligence on the user's part. How you plan on "burning" several specific pixels I don't know.
If I press hard against the screen for a period of time wouldn't some pixels burn?

I'll call up HP today and ask what the terms of my warranty are.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Explosions Hurt said:
If I press hard against the screen for a period of time wouldn't some pixels burn?

umm, no.

You'd leave a massive crack on the screen.

HSC
1. it is only ever covered under-warranty if there is many pixels that have burnt

2 YOU CAN NOT BURN PIXELS, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT AN LCD SCREEN IS MADE UP OF.

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
1. it is only ever covered under-warranty if there is many pixels that have burnt

2 YOU CAN NOT BURN PIXELS, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT AN LCD SCREEN IS MADE UP OF.
1) HP says that at least 1cm squared of pixels must be burned before the laptop is replaced.
2) That's true, I've got no idea about computers.

HSC
1cm is a lot of pixels.

sorry if that sounded by a personal attack btw.
oh and they would just replace your screen not everthing if there was an issue.

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
1cm is a lot of pixels.

sorry if that sounded by a personal attack btw.
oh and they would just replace your screen not everthing if there was an issue.
Ok cool, thanks.

Nah, I didn't think that was rude or a personal attack, it's all good.

HSC
that is fine.

I know apples warranty is good, there batteries are not very good, so with my old ipod i took it to the apple store and got it replaced one day before warranty expired

Evilo

HSC
if you were going to do this
a) you need to find out if your insurance/warranty covers it
b) you need to find out if it could be considered as non-warranty through normal use
c) you need to find out how long it would take to "burn out pixels" well before the alloted time frame (and the burn out size for your brand)
d) you need to find out how to burn out the pixels (and whether it is scattered or clustered) to make it look unintentional
e) you need to accept there is a risk of it all fucking up and you left with a half fucked up screen.

HSC
you can not burn pixels intentionally, they get stuck occasionally which is a simple matter to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)