• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

write-up please assess (1 Viewer)

MoonMonster196884

HSC
Kim Cheng employs metaphorical language entwined with the figurative device of personification. Inherent in the ‘world’ of ‘forgotten pressed flowers of a time when the world arrived’ is the symbolic representation of stamps, that progressively forge a reconnection with his father’s worldview. The vivid emotional and natural imagery conveys the timelessness of personal memories, in shaping experiences reflective of the extent to which the personified world has evolved. I similarly incorporate an obsolete train ticket as a symbol of legacy, though in juxtaposition with the stamps, they bear no relevance to the modernist view Kim Cheng alludes to. The stamps present an intricate exploration of the persona’s inner world, yet the tickets are vastly more integrated in the outer world, and thus, portray no effect on the persona’s worldview. I express the interconnectedness of my ‘960 Rail Network’ to not only attest to the nationalistic environment of China through analogies, but further, employ metafiction to render experiences in the moment (such as train rides) as incomparable to the past.

Kim Cheng employs the extended metaphor of stamps to convey experiences in different countries. ‘Vanished republics emerg[ing]’ is a continuation of the metaphor as the stamps encapsulate the all-encompassing view of the world. The father evokes pathos in the reader as nostalgia grips him, enhanced by vivid imagery of disparate moments in time, with the stamps ‘behind filmy strips.’ The emotive nature of ‘behind’ indicates time will unfold before the stamps necessitate a connection between personal memories and worldview. I similarly employ an authentic voice to captivate the reader with an emotionally charged perspective of reality. Whilst experiences in Stamp Collecting undergo temporal shifts from the past to present, my piece comparatively, focuses solely on the passage of time giving way to the future. On the other hand, the prospect of my characters uncovering the light of the day was inspired by the persona of Kim Cheng’s reflective stance as he imparts the microcosm (stamp collection) inhabiting his childhood world upon his daughter.

Last edited:

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Your words aren't concise, the sentences aren't logically coherent. It's not even the matter of which sentences to eliminate right now, it's that you probably should rewrite the whole thing.

MoonMonster196884

HSC
Your words aren't concise, the sentences aren't logically coherent. It's not even the matter of which sentences to eliminate right now, it's that you probably should rewrite the whole thing.
bru i alr re-wrote it

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Also there are unsubstantied sentences in your writing, your reader should be able to logically see why you employed something.

MoonMonster196884

HSC
its a reflection - its not supposed to be as coherent??

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
可能如果用词再简单一些的话会好一些

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Mate, you shouldn't use too much complicated sentences in English essay writing because it will make your reader lost. Essay writing is about the balancing writing in complicated and simple, straight forward sentences. Here's an example of a better one so you have a better idea on the balance that you should aim for:

Is Economics a science? Illustrate your answer by explaining the difference between Economics and Philosophy

Economics is a discipline in the sense that it systematically confirms conjectures and dismantles models through theoretical critiques, in a Kuhnian Sense (The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, 1962). A typical example of this is Weber’s examination of the impact of bureaucracy in his Bureaucracy: A Study in Administrative Science (1922), where he observed that “in Germany, from 1880 to 1900, bureaucratic efficiency increased about 50 per cent, and more than 80 per cent in Prussia during the period 1870-1890 (2,500 cases instead of 1,200)” (Weber, 1922, pp.55).

In contrast, model construction and conjecture formulation in Philosophy are not involved with fieldwork and practical verification, but through textual analysis and logical deduction. This difference underscores the epistemological divergence behind the procedural difference.

Yet, such separation could be questioned due to the presence of certain disciplines, such as Media Studies and the Philosophy of Economics. In these areas, the occurrence of methodological integration of both fields indicated the interconnected relationship between Economics and Philosophy. For instance, Anthony Giddens, in his book The Constitution of Society: Outline of the Theory of Structuration, 1984 employs case studies in exploring the ways how economic structures are enacted and perceived in everyday contexts.

Now, I haven't been in highschool for years so I can't say too much about 2024 HSC, but writing in English is always about straightforwardness, balancing with some level of complication. That's just how the language works, unless you're writing a poem.

This is a fake example of a 200 word essay from one of my uni assignments.

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
And also you shouldn't just straight up ask for my surname just because another Chinese decided to speak to you in Chinese. That is weird as fuck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)