• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

y r ppl so confused about arts? (1 Viewer)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
i dont get it!

i tell people "hmmmm bachelor of arts"
the reply: "hmmmm, so ur good at drawing right?"

if that was the case, i should have said " naah, i wanna do arts and craft at tafe :p ! "

if i do arts, will my credentials say B Arts or will it refer to my subjects like B political science ?

will employers get to know what i did just by looking at my resume?

i also got this: "Arts isnt a specific course -leads to no where"
(that was from a BOS member )

anyone wanting to enlighten?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I figure that on your resume, you can put your majors.....

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
i dont get it!

i tell people "hmmmm bachelor of arts"
the reply: "hmmmm, so ur good at drawing right?"

if that was the case, i should have said " naah, i wanna do arts and craft at tafe :p ! "
yeah because everyone knows you can't do any fine arts or arts management or graphic design or animation or multimedia type courses at uni under a BA.

Most people would think, Bachelor of Economics, well that's what they qualify in. Bachelor of Business, fine. Bachelor of Science, ok some kind of science thing. Bachelor of Arts, hmmmm

mr EaZy said:
if i do arts, will my credentials say B Arts or will it refer to my subjects like B political science ?

will employers get to know what i did just by looking at my resume?
You'd get something like BArts(EnglishLit, MediaStud) or whatever other major you have, although you gotta love the media studies majors.

It won't refer at all to your subjects, it will refer to your majors/minors, you could do all the maths subjects you want but unless you actually had a math major or minor you are not going to get it listed anywhere.

mr EaZy said:
i also got this: "Arts isnt a specific course -leads to no where"
(that was from a BOS member )

anyone wanting to enlighten?
Arts is a generic degree. It's often ridiculed by non-arts students as being:
- the degree you do when you really don't want to do a degree
- the degree you do when you want a holiday for 3 years
- the degree you do when you like to stack shelves or ask if people want fries with that for the rest of your life
- the degree you do if you have trouble learning anything serious

This is often said because some arts students have notoriously low hourly commitments per week for classes. Also some students have what appear to be ridiculous combinations of majors that makes one question just what it is they are doing at uni or what they hope to get in the end.

If you can get a specific B of whatever field you want to work in then get it instead of a BA. A BA is very flexible in allowing you to pull together many unrelated fields into your degree, but it will most often be placed lower in a pile if someone has a BSomething that is heavily focused on a particular area.

It's not impossible to find a job with a BA. It will just depend on the field. Arts is good for Humanities based subjects, for the other stuff it's not so hot. In my experience anyway.

mr EaZy

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Arts is a generic degree. It's often ridiculed by non-arts students as being:
- the degree you do when you really don't want to do a degree
- the degree you do when you want a holiday for 3 years
- the degree you do when you like to stack shelves or ask if people want fries with that for the rest of your life
- the degree you do if you have trouble learning anything serious

This is often said because some arts students have notoriously low hourly commitments per week for classes. Also some students have what appear to be ridiculous combinations of majors that makes one question just what it is they are doing at uni or what they hope to get in the end.

lolllllllllllll
YEah, that hits the spot, people can be really naieve about arts cant they.
my bro used to work at UNSW arranging allocating the timetable for students, and he always went on about how he felt like smacking each arts student who complained about their 8 hours of study being spread out over 3 days instead of just one :p

mr EaZy

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
If you can get a specific B of whatever field you want to work in then get it instead of a BA. A BA is very flexible in allowing you to pull together many unrelated fields into your degree, but it will most often be placed lower in a pile if someone has a BSomething that is heavily focused on a particular area.

It's not impossible to find a job with a BA. It will just depend on the field. Arts is good for Humanities based subjects, for the other stuff it's not so hot. In my experience anyway.
the usyd website has this guy's profile who did a major in archeaology and is now doing something with agriculture...........weird!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)